Sign in to follow this  
Crappiebasser

Deep Crankbaits

Do any of you guys use suspend dots on your deep cranks to get them down to depth? If so what's the best location and weight? I use 12lb line and don't won't to go lighter but still want the bait down 15-20ft.

What crankbait are you using?

I use lead wrap sometimes around the front hook of some of my more buoyant cranks when I want to hit max depth (to the point of slow rise).

If you're using a really buoyant deep diver, you could throw a whole pack of suspendots on there and it probably wouldn't be enough weight to do much. ;)

It isn't really going to help you get much deeper, it just keeps the lure from popping up if you want to pause or reel very slowly.

If maximum depth is your goal, the line dia. is going to be a big factor......I use 20 lb. braid - - it gets my baits deeper than 10 lb. test mono, without the loss of strength.

Get a slow gear ratio reel, a longer rod and shove the rod tip down in the water all the way to the reel and crank. if your fishing from a boat. use a dd22

Consider braid and a fluoro leader unless your willing to switch to lighter mono. Drilling holes into your cranks, inserting lead ingots, and then epoxying over the holes can turn buoyant baits into suspenders or sinkers, but it's touchy and easy to ruin a bait that way.

Use the good ole "Kneel and Reel". That'll get her down there

add enough weight with suspend strips so that the lure sinks and then count the lure down to the depth you want to run and reel. if your just trying to get the lure down a few feet then change to fluorocarbon line and weight the bait under the lip. this changes the position the lure is when it starts diving and the line floats less and helps the lure dive. you can also use a modified Carolina rig attached ahead of your lures. It is hard to get a lure that is not designed to reach a deep depth deep but the things i mentioned will get you where you want to be.