Sign in to follow this  
triwbass

swapping trebles on cranks + size

ok lets say i want to swap trebles on a strike king series 5 crankbait what size do i buy,,,,also do yall replace hook and splitring or just hook,,, and what is best way to do this without catching myself,,,,

I am relatively new to doing this, I mainly switched out trebels on Jitterbugs, bbut I would guess the procedure is much the same

First off you want to get a Split Ring Pliers that open up the split rings, I am feeling you there !

Then I never unscrew the hook hangers, I cut off the old hooks with a good pair of cutters.

I replace with same size or go up one and put the new trebles onto a split ring and onto the lure. This is what I do and I am sure many more will give you suggestions we both can use

The only cranks i switched out on were DT Sure Sets, I hate those hooks they catch onto everything!

If your going to be swapping hooks a lot then i would suggest buying a pair of splitring pliers. As far as size hooks it depends on what your trying to do. Some people switch to a long shank treble because they feel that it acts like a stinger hook and sticks fish that swipe at the bait. Other people switch to a short shank hook because the bait protects the hooks more and helps it get through cover better. Some switch to triple grip hooks for the same reason. Some switch to a wider gap hook because they feel like it helps get a better bite on the fish when hooked. Some switch to smaller hooks because they feel like it makes the bait harder for the fish to throw the lure. A lot depends on how you play the fish that you hook and what you want out of the bait. Some change hooks to add weight to the bait to make it rise slower or suspend, also to make the bait cast farther. If you just trying to match the hook on the bait then take the bait into a tackle shop or pick one off the rack then match up the hook. Splitrings on a lure extends the distance the hook hangs down also remember that to big of a splitring will hang up the hook on the other hook or line and could hang on the hook hanger if to large. I like oval rings but thats just me. In most cases you wouldn't need to change the splitring unless it is rusty or you have a lure that the splitring is not letting the hook swing free.

Wow, great post Chris, and thanks because I just started a little switching out!