Sign in to follow this  
berkleyfan81

has anyone used Mend-It! Soft Bait Repair and SpikeIt Garlic Dye-A-Live ?

Do these really work or not I was going to buy them and i just want your opinions on the mend it soft bait repair glue and the spike it garlic dye  ?

I have used mend it in the past and yes it does what it says it will do.  Never had any problems except that it dried up... BUT they recently fixed that issue and I don't believe it dries up on you anymore.  With that said... I no longer use it as I just heat up a hook and melt the two pieces together.  It works well for my needs and there is no reason for me to buy mend it.  

Spike it sucks!!  There's a better option, JJ's Magic.

take the test, open each and take a whiff ;) You'll QUICKLY understand the difference

Spike it sucks!! There's a better option, JJ's Magic.

take the test, open each and take a whiff ;) You'll QUICKLY understand the difference

Dumb and probably been answered a hundred times question:

JJ's really does not bleed all over other baits?? When using spike it if you dye a few strands of a spinnerbait red the whole skirt turns pink or if you dye the tail of a worm chart then put the bait back in the bag then all the other baits get yellow spots on them.

The other problem with spike it is when using on some plastics it will instantly eat them.I have had tails and claws fall off and you must throw it in the water quickly after application. Does JJ do this too??

To the original poster:

Mend it is an incredible product.I would buy it even it it cost twice as much. I have fixed a couple hundred plastic baits plus made many of  my own creations on one bottle. It is especially useful for those large expensive baits that only come few per pack. If you are a swimbaiter then one or two fixed baits will instantly pay for the bottle.

It takes a little practice to use effectively.It is not a glue.It melts the plastic from the inside out.If you apply to a small hole or crack it will become a large rip and fall apart.Thats okay,it is what you want.Just hold the bait together for a few seconds or even blow on it.Then apply a tiny amount on the outside for assurance if needed.After about a min or two you can actuall pull on the bait or stick a hook through it.

There is a boring but informative video here:

http://www.menditglue.com/

Just started using Mend-it, but I am already convinced it is the way to go.  It will easily pay for itself.  As for Spike-it, I have never used it, so can't comment.  I have used JJ's Magic and would recommend it highly if you like garlic scent.  Just don't open it in the house.

I just ordered Mend-it... It should save me a small fortune just in Beavers, Senkos, and LF Magic Shads if it works.

Spike it sucks!! There's a better option, JJ's Magic.

Dumb and probably been answered a hundred times question:

JJ's really does not bleed all over other baits?? When using spike it if you dye a few strands of a spinnerbait red the whole skirt turns pink or if you dye the tail of a worm chart then put the bait back in the bag then all the other baits get yellow spots on them.

The other problem with spike it is when using on some plastics it will instantly eat them.I have had tails and claws fall off and you must throw it in the water quickly after application. Does JJ do this too??

To the original poster:

Mend it is an incredible product.I would buy it even it it cost twice as much. I have fixed a couple hundred plastic baits plus made many of my own creations on one bottle. It is especially useful for those large expensive baits that only come few per pack. If you are a swimbaiter then one or two fixed baits will instantly pay for the bottle.

It takes a little practice to use effectively.It is not a glue.It melts the plastic from the inside out.If you apply to a small hole or crack it will become a large rip and fall apart.Thats okay,it is what you want.Just hold the bait together for a few seconds or even blow on it.Then apply a tiny amount on the outside for assurance if needed.After about a min or two you can actuall pull on the bait or stick a hook through it.

There is a boring but informative video here:

http://www.menditglue.com/

I've used both.

spike it doesn't penetrate the plastic like JJ's does.  Once on, I haven't had JJ's dipped baits bleed into other baits though they will smell up a bag of plastics with the garlic smell which is a good thing I suppose.

As for melting.  JJ's will consume 3x plastics.  Melts them almost instantly.   :)

Spike-It works good, but JJ's Magic works great.

As for the Mend-It softbait glue there is nothing better.  This stuff will save you a lot of money!

I like the spike-it pen, It makes it real easy to put a little color on a soft plastic tail or body, I have not tryed JJ yet though.