Sign in to follow this  
airborne_angler

Wanna Do Some Super Ultra Lite Panfishing?

Just remembered a trick I used to use for fishing with live bait,but havent in awhile for catching panfish on really small gear.Get yourself the lightest rod and reel combo you can find. Use some 2-4# test and the appropriate Hooks as you prefer.'

The best part I like about this setup is the "bobber". Forget about pencil floats,and red/white or orange and yellow clip on bobbers.

The Bobbers I like to use come straight from the Salmon/Steelhead fishermans arsenal.They are called "Corkies"

http://www.grapentin.com/ColorCharts/Corkies_Lg.jpg

All they are is really small,round slip bobbers.If you can rig up a slip bobber,you can fish these.Little to no weight is needed when using these,thus allowing for a very natural presentation. The "Corky" is also small enough that it goes under with very little resistance,so the fish wont spook and reject the offering.

Downsize like I have described here and get into some large Bluegill or Redear,and your sure to have a blast. Ya never know,ya might just get into some nice Bass. I know my first 5# Bass was caught while I was Bluegill Fishing with a tiny piece of Nightcrawler on a itty-bitty hook on an ultralight setup...Boy was I surprised.

i love fishing for bluegill when the bass bite isnt exactly on. Love it on my fly rod, also my UL trout rod. I usually use very small strike indicators (basically a fly fishing bobber for nymphing) i need to do some bluegill fishing soon, thanks for reminding me how much fun it is!

I've found some bobers similar to those at dick's sporting goods I think they were called "thingamabobbers".. Had some that were actually smaller than a dime, but I stuck with the ones that were dime sized.. I'll be trying them out soon since you've given me some ideas..

I've found some bobers similar to those at dick's sporting goods I think they were called "thingamabobbers".. Had some that were actually smaller than a dime, but I stuck with the ones that were dime sized.. I'll be trying them out soon since you've given me some ideas..

yep i use the thingamabobbers! even tho they are made for fly fishing i like them for spin fishing too when i drift night crawlers for trout.

Bluegill fishing is the best because every so often you hook into a bass. A couple of summers back I was fishing with my then 4 year old daughter and I had a bluegill on the line and a bass nailed it. I wound up catching the bass instead. It was fun fighting that thing on 2 lb test. Thanks for the reminder!