Sign in to follow this  
fishindad

Crankbait Rod Help

Recent member here. I'm looking for one or two new crankbait rods. Am trying to decide between Falcon's 7'3" deep runner and St Croix's 7' Med and MH models. Mostly will be throwing DT 4's, 6's, and 10's. Maybe DT 14's too. On big water (Great Lakes) using 10 and 12 lb. line. I know, may not be able to do this on only one rod. Budget is 'around' $200 per rod. Anyone have experience with any of these rods? Or better yet, give me feedback on which is best at throwing said cranks - for smallies? Will probably use for lipless cranks too. Thanks in advance.

Oh yeah, forgot to mention, the SC Legend Tournament models.

This is what I use...

Shimano Cumara Reaction Series

Models

CUC70M

CUC70MH

CUC70H

These are technique specific cranking rods. I have all three and can vouch for Shimano's recommended uses for them. The M is for shallow to medium depth in hard cover. The MH is for medium depths and soft cover and jerk baits. For the uses you mentioned I would say go with the M and MH but if you go to throwing DD22's and Fat-Free's the H rod is much better for those. These rods can be bought for under $200 on ebay.

Hey Fishindad, welcome to the forum.

I use the St. Croix Avid AVC70MHM. I love this rod. I upgraded to this rod after a season of using the Mojo with the same power/action. I liked the Mojo but loved the Avid. I could have upgraded this one too, but I like it too much to mess with getting anything else. It will handle everything you want to use. For me, I love the full handle on the Avids when compared to the LTs (or Mojo). I can't comment on the Falcons because I've never used one. Go with the Avid and don't look back. I do caution you though; if this is to be your first St. Croix, be aware you will want to buy more. My bait monkey is especially fond of their rods.

Whets

B)

Thanks guys. I have a couple of Crucial dropshot rods and I love them. I have no doubt the Cumaras are sweet. Just that I have a couple of SC LT bass rods and love them as well. I don't need to get the LT version of the MM and MHM, more like a 'want' as you mentioned Whets. I've got Falcon baitcasters so am leaning that way since I have not used split grip baitcasters. Maybe I can convince my St Croix Avid buddy to get the Avid for me to use!

Check out the Loomis 845 and 847. If you can catch them on sale you can get them at that price range. I've got the 843, 845, and 847 and love them. Catch a lot of smallies on the 845 as well. I'd look at the Cumara reaction series as mentioned above as well. I've never fished them but fish the cumara casting series and love those rods as well.

fishindad

The avid AVC70MM is a great choice at $180. I have two of those I use for lake erie smallies. My favorite cranker is a legend tournament walleye spinning rod! It's a TWS70MHM deep cranker & retails for $230. Handles 6-12 line weight & 1/4-3/4 lure weight. Its in between the legend tournament bass casting rods Small cranker & Big cranker which also retail for $230. I have caught some nice bass on it & it will handle a one ounce bait with no problem.

Thanks Dwight. I thought about the LT spinning rods for cranking but I'm kind of old school and can't get used to cranking with a spinning reel. I'm going to give the Avid MM a try - sounds like it works for you on Erie smallies. Can't go wrong with the SC rods, there's too many choices!