Sign in to follow this  
Crowcommander

Help With 6 Hp Evinrude

Recently inherieted a 6 hp 69 Evinrude in excellent shape.Very little use but when I crank it up,I choke it and it starts up,but when I push the choke in it dies. Is this the high spped jet or the low speed jet.I put some seafoam in the gas but so far no improvement. Is a trip to the mechanic required or is there something I can do myself. Also can I still get parts for this little jewel. any Help or input appreciated.

The carburator will have to be taken off and cleaned. All the orfices will need to be cleaned.

The high speed jet is plugged...you need a special screw driver to remove it with out damaging it. One can be made in a pinch but be careful.

How mechanically inclined are you?

If you are not sure you want to take this carb apart then you should consider a marine tech.

I would make sure you clean ALL of the passages out with carb cleaner THOROUGHLY and also make sure your fuel supply is in like new condition...hoses etc...If you can at least do that much that may fix your fuel problem but I would also recomend replacing your plug and plug wire.

Good luck and be safe!!!