Studley

Questions From A Newbie

I used to bass fish when I was a kid. After I moved from Massachusetts to southeastern pa I lost touch with it. Skip ahead 10 years and now I'm ready to get back into it. Now that I'm older I want to learn a little more than

just throwing a worm on a hook and tossing it into a lake.

With that said I am heading on vacation from July 1st to the 10th. It's not an exclusive fishing vacation but since it's a house on Lake Winnipesaukee NH I figured I would enjoy the lake with a fishing pole as well (something I didn't take advantage of last year.)

As I mentioned before we are on Lake Winnipesaukee. We are like 20ft from the shore on the big island in the middle (I believe its called Long Island). Her house is on a natural cove which from what I gather isn't very deep (from the depth map online it's at least less than 20ft). Obviously due to our proximity we can fish anytime from the shore, unfortunitely we do not have a boat.

Now that I've given you some info here is a barrage of questions. Hopefully I don't overwhelm you.

1. Is Lake Winnipesaukee even a good lake for bass fishing, or is it primarily a trout lake?

2. What kind of line and what weight test should I use? I know it's a loaded question just something you would recommend to a newer fisher, easier to use.

2. What kind of bait would you recommend. I saw a few videos of people using plastic worms and doing something called "drop shoting". Is that something you'd recommend or should I use something else?

3. We can walk around the island but can't get in middle of the lake so any advise on what I be looking for to cast in would help.

4. We plan on fishing at night and during the day so any tactical advice on what I should do for both situations would help.

I know I've bombarded you with lots of questions, some of which I realize are very loaded questions.

Thanks in advance!

-S

I looked up some fishing reports and saw some smallmouth bass have been caught in the lake as well as landlocked and Atlantic salmon and rainbow trout.So looks like you'll be catchin some fish might want to see if you can get together with a guide that knows the lake and can put you on some fish.But if your just goin to relax and do some shore fishin that's always nice to.Have fun!

I'd definitely recommend a guide. Winni is a BIG lake! And you need someone to show you the ropes up there. I've been fishing for 50 years and if I was going to Winni, I'd rent a guide! Will make your overall experience much more productive and pleasant.

• Like 1

7ft Medium action rod. Baitcaster or spinning reel which ever you're more comfortable with.

10 lb Stren Flouro line. It's cheap and decent line.

3/8ths bullet weights

5" watermelon red flake Gary Yamamoto Senko or Yum Dinger (cheaper, more durable, same body type)

They can be thrown with the bullet weight or without.

Read the thread SENKO FAQ in the fishing tackle forum

Best of luck

Winni is a big lake and its probably the best NH has to offer IMO. It has a great small & large mouth population. Because the lake is so big and your new to fishing, it can be a bit overwelming. You should take Crestliner2008's advice about getting a guide for that lake. I haven't fished there in quite a while, but if I remember correctly, If you do decide to go it alone, maybe try and stay around the boat ramp in Wolfboro. There are a lot of good spots just around the ramp you can hit.

I'm sure some of our NH members will be posting on this thread, but I hope this helps.

If you just want to focus on shore fishing from the house, it will be more peaceful, but less productive than a guide.

So from shore, start with the senko recommendation made earlier and use quality hooks (gamigatsu or owner). Cast and walk everywhere. Pay attention to what you are feeling on the bottom (weed,rock,sand). Use that info to develope a mental map of the areas you are fishing. Also pay attention to where you catch fish. They are in that spot for a reason.

Since you will be there for a week plus you could feed the fish morning and sunset to draw them closer. Takes a few days or months to work so don't go overboard. Dont wory about what the bass eat, feeding the bait fish will bring the bass. Yes it's cheating, but it's still fun.

If you wanted to get real fancy you could catch some of the bait fish you are feeding and float it under a bobber. Again cheating, but...

You will need some exra wide gap hooks for your Senko's or their knock-offs. Winni is one of he best smallmouth lakes I have ever fished any where and that includes from Dale Hollow to St. Claire, to Rainey.

I second, third and fourth the guide. Go to www.winnipesaukee.com and you can find one. It could be one of your best fishing days ever.