Sign in to follow this  
zenyoungkoh

Patterns For Peacock Bass

Im going to be fishing for peacock bass in the summer and Im stocking up on lures because im fishing overseas. The peacocks that im targeting are mostly small 1-6 lbers, South Florida size peacock bass. Problem is i dont really understand their behavior and patterns because its my first time. So i need tips like where do they like to hang out? When is the best time to fish for peacocks? What should i use on a cloudy overcast day? What should i use on a bright day? Would a spinnerbait work? etc.

I am not an expert on FL peacock; been to Brazil 4 times so I think I have some knowledge of peacocks. Basically the bigger and noiser the lure the better. They are very aggressive and will strike at anything they feel comes into their terrority. You can do an internet search for peacock bass lures and will disover there are many different brands. Basically I think you can do good with two basic types; topwater and jigs. Ultimate peacock bass jigs has a good selection; you're looking for something 6-8 inches in length with lots of color/sparkle. Top waters you want noisy with lots of splash; Highroller lures are probably one of the better known brands but as you search you'll find others. Maybe somebody from FL can give you more specific information on what works for them. If the biggest you're probably going to catch is 6 lbs then you can probably get away with Zara Spooks and similiar type lures.

I'd suggest top waters anytime it's overcast or not directly sunny; if sunny go to jigs.