Sign in to follow this  
PondBoss

Biggest Fish Of The Year So Far :)

I was out early this morning and caught a few fish, nothing big just a few 1 1/2 - 2lb fish. One of them ended up breaking my rod. I was angry as hell about that, so I put the rod in the truck and went to Academy to return it. I got full cash value for the rod and since they were having their "rod riot" I ended up making about $25 bucks on the deal. I put that extra money towards some new Big Bite Baits. They were like $1.75 a pack, got a few packs of fluke baits, some Kreit tail worms, and some Fighting Frogs. I walked out of the store with a lot more than I walked in with :) yay for me! Got back to my spot and on the 3rd flip with my new rod and new Big Bite Fighting Frog I caught this dude.

Weighed 7lb 4oz and was super skinny. Would have thrown her back, but was gill hooked and torn to shreds.

post-8349-0-33257100-1307743110_thumb.jp

WTG and sorry the your fish didn't make it!

Big O

www.ragetail.com

"The TPWD study showed that bass hooked in the tongue and esophagus had about a 50 percent chance of dying, while bass hooked in the lips mouth, jaw, roof of mouth had 25 percent or less mortality. Interestingly, only 12.5 percent of gill hooked fish died. This finding suggests anglers who kill and eat or mount gill-damaged bass because "they are unlikely to live" are in error."

-http://www.***/articles/manns/hook_in_out.shtml

It may have survived!!

aww they ban me from mentioning it but ***= ***

woww they censored it again!! *** = bass.d.o.zers without alll the .s

Unfortunately there was no way this fish was coming back from the destruction that used to be it's gills. My 4/0 super line hook was stuck through one and had ripped through two others. It almost looked like the fish literally inhaled the bait as opposed to biting it.

Unfortunately there was no way this fish was coming back from the destruction that used to be it's gills. My 4/0 super line hook was stuck through one and had ripped through two others. It almost looked like the fish literally inhaled the bait as opposed to biting it.

A lot of times a bass will inhale a bait . I would say that's what happened with your bass.