Sign in to follow this  
bweave09

Making Jigs With Living Rubber

I want to start making some jigs with rubber, but I have a few problems. I was looking at using round rubber, but can't find it in tabs and don't know how else to make a skirt (I am a super noob when it comes to that). If I can't get them in tabs, how do I tie them? I have read that flat rubber is better (somewhere, don't remember exactly) and I have found that in tabs but I love the look of the round rubber. It seems to me that round rubber might be a bit of a hassle because I find the tabs and rubber collars to be super easy to use and they make for a quick change when I need to. I don't think that the round rubber will give me that luxury. Should I just stick with the flat rubber? Thanks and sorry if this is confusing

Also, if I have to wire tie the round rubber, would I have to tie the skirt on a jig without a weedguard and then glue the guard in myself, or is there a way around that?

Also, if I have to wire tie the round rubber, would I have to tie the skirt on a jig without a weedguard and then glue the guard in myself, or is there a way around that?

The round rubber comes in rolls of various sizes depending on where you order from. It's generally 40 strands wide. To get your "tab" so to speak just roll out and cut into 5 1/2 to 6 inch pieces. You then can do one of two things: 1. Put into a band, squeeze at the band and seperate pieces then put on the jig, or 2. Do as I and wrap the rubber around the jig and tie in place, then seperate. To me option 2 is the easiest/fastest. I use thread for this, then either glue, or wire over it to ensure it's not going anywhere. If you want to use various color just lay them on there make a wrap or two, then lay the next.

As for the weedguards I prefer tying without them. Easier to roll the rubber around the jig. If you are tying for yourself then you could do either way. If weedguard is in, you can work your way around it. Or you can pull it out of the way with a rubber band or something until your done. Keep in mind that more times than not this will flare the weedguard to some extent.

As for the weedguards I prefer tying without them. Easier to roll the rubber around the jig. If you are tying for yourself then you could do either way. If weedguard is in, you can work your way around it. Or you can pull it out of the way with a rubber band or something until your done. Keep in mind that more times than not this will flare the weedguard to some extent.

What do you use to glue the weedguards in?

What do you use to glue the weedguards in?

I mostly use Devcon 2 Ton 30 Minute Epoxy. Can use superglue GEL if only doing a small amount for personal use. The Epoxy dries clear. If you get a little too much superglue on there you can end up with some white residue sometimes.