Sign in to follow this  
Bass Dude

Kvd

I was looking on the Bassmaster webpage and they were stating KVD's accomplishments. They are mind blowing!!!! The one that stuck out was that since 2009 no fisherman besides KVD has won the Classic or AOY. That is stupid!!!! Also, he could win his 4th AOY in a row....even more stupid!!!

A question that comes to mind though...why in other sports when the same person wins everything they are usually villainized. Jimmy Johnson for example, everyone says how boring racing is because he's won for the past five years. Patriots, Yankees etc...all dominators of their sports that a lot of people can't stand. So, why in fishing do the fans not feel like this towards KVD? Just curious and looking for opinions!!

Possibly because KVD hasn't "dominated." The last few years, the AOY crown has been a very tight race. If he was just blowing away the competition it may be a different story. Again this year, it's coming right down to the wire. Who knows who will actually win it this year. I'd love to see Evers come away with it. He's in a great position to do so.

I think the way KVD handles winning is what keeps people from vilanizing him. He's a nice guy, who love bass fishing, loves winning, loves his wife and children, loves his fellow competitors, loves his fans, loves his sponsors, and loves sharing information about how he "catches little green fish." What's not to like about him? I'm sure a lot of people would love to see someone else win the AOY or the Classic, but that comes more from cheering for other anglers, not cheering against KVD. Everyone bass fisherman likes that guy.

I was thinking about my own question...I think it may be that we all relate to him, and the other Elite anglers. Unlike other sports, we are all part of the sport and most of compete just like he does (obviously not on the Elite level). Much different than a football player, racecar driver etc. I think our intimate understanding of the sport may have a lot to do with it too...and I do agree that it has to do with his personality too.

Again, a way our sport is different. I don't know of any "civilian" that has sat down with Tom Brady and was able to ask him questions face to face. With the Elite events I've been to...I've had some nice chats with Ike and Mark Menendez and a couple others. That's what makes our sport unique and brings us back to the the relateability we have with the anglers.

Thanks for all the opinions.....keep 'em coming.

This is from the ESPN Bassmaster's live blog - day 3 Dixie Duel on Lake Wheeler -

I don't know what to say that hasn't already been said about this man ~

A-Jay

http://www.bassmaster.com/news/dixie-duel-live-blog

8:22 a.m.

Going into this morning we were thinking that there was a slight chance that KVD could slip up and by the narrowest of margins ever let someone else win the Toyota Tundra Bassmaster Angler of the Year title.

Not anymore. VanDam has not only shut that door, he's slammed it shut, nailed it down and no matter how many miracles you can dream of he will be the next AOY.

While we were working up photo galleries and watching Walker, Hackney and DeFoe, VanDam quietly and very quickly has caught more than 17 pounds to not only assure an AOY victory but take the lead in this event.

Once again, KVD captures the magic and once again we can say there is no one better.

--Steve Bowman

8:26 a.m.

There was never really any doubt that VanDam would get the work done today to nail down the AOY, but even for those of us who knew it was coming, that early flurry that created 17 pounds sends a little shock wave through us.

It really does make us wonder if the guy is super natural in some way.

Yesterday, he had to wait to weigh in late with Evers and Kennedy. We set in the weigh-in line as angler after angler passed and all KVD could say about the AOY race was "I'm ready to get this over."

He said it enough that he obviously took it to heart. He's left absolutely no chance or no doubt.

--Steve Bowman