Sign in to follow this  
ccl113

Vendetta Tip Repair

Hey guys, did a quick search but couldn't find exactly what I was looking for.. I made the dumb mistake of leaving my vendetta in the bed of my truck with a bunch of stuff floating around and went to use it and noticed a good chunk of the tip gone. It ended up breaking all the way to the second guide. I bought the repair kit from walmart but the glue they give you just isn't seeming to cut it for me. Anyone have a good tip for fixing it? Or should I just not mess with it anymore and take it to someone who knows what they're doing. Also, with that much of the rod breaking off will it compromise the strength of the entire rod? Probably a dumb question but figured I should ask. Sorry for the long post but I appreciate any advice you guys have.

I just use super glue(gel version) on the tips. If you prefer hot glue use the high strentgh version.

Braking off the tip section will not effect the rods strength, But it will effect its action. If it was a fast action it will now more likely be extra fast. What will effect its strength is if the rod has been nicked in other places. You will know the first time you load the rod!

If your gonna toss them in the pickup, May I suggest rod sleeves/savers?

Jj, appreciate the advice. I was thinking about using super glue but wasn't sure if it was a good idea, glad to hear it is and I will for sure give it a shot. And after I broke a cheap rod the same way I swore I would put them in the cab anytime I take them out of the boat.. But since I can't manage to remember, looks like rod savers are a good idea.

Thanks again for the good advice. Seems like I can always count on BR when I have a question.

Hot Melt glue is my preferred adhesive for tip tops. It bonds well and makes for easier removal for future repairs. Epoxy is second best. I'd only use super glue as a last resort.

Another option is to use what was the first running guide as the new tip top. I often use micro running guides tied on the tip as a top guide.

Trimming from the tip (or butt) of a blank makes the action slower, not faster, and of course the tip will be stiffer due to the blanks taper.