Sign in to follow this  
Bassaddiction

Lake Champlain- Anyone Have Info? Need A Local Partner!!

I will be launching out of Plunder Bay Marina which is in Orwell VT. Does anyone have any reports on where the fish are now? Largemouth still on beds? On isolated weed or rocks? Smallmouth still catchable? (large ones)

I am fishing a tournament Friday and Saturday and I am also looking for a partner who is a local. If anyone is interested please let me know. My club is Atlantic Bassmasters, it is obviously a team tournament.

Please email me at Golfer1659@aol.com if you can fish the tournament........

I can't fish, but I just spent 60 of the last 72 hours fishing Champlain. The spawn is over, Smallies ended about 2 weeks ago and the Largemouths are about a month now, males were guarding Fry and the Momma Bass were all skinny 2 weeks ago. This weekend we boated about 65lbs of Largemouths and the girls were getting thicker.

The water is 68-72 and the weeds are pathetically behind where they should be. The flooding really messed up the weeds this year. We found the best weeds (Milfoil) to be out on humps/points that are off shore and had clearer water during this spring's debacle. Even "good" spots were still pretty small. Today we ran into guys from Peru, NY and they said the grass is way behind down there as well.

WOOD WOOD WOOD is the key... Flooded Timbers AND Wood that was washed out into the lake by all the rivers during the wet spring. No good weeds... Wood will do! If there are weeds around the wood even better. We were in Missisquoi Bay (about as far from where you'll be as you can get on the lake) and figured out a great pattern that revolved around wood. Today in St. Albans Bay we Drop Shot-ed some really nice fish from old wrecks, again, wood came into play... Keep in mind the Pro's will be up (down) there for an Everstart Tournament and there is another Open tournament out of Larabee's (just north or Orwell) so you will have a lot of company down there.

PM me if you have any questions, I am writing this on 2 hours sleep and a pretty rad case of sun brain, so I might not be super clear.

PS the Northerns are out of control, have the pliers ready, they love them some crankbaits!