Sign in to follow this  
Lucas412

Can I Flip My Boat Over To Work On It?

Hello everyone, I have an old 14' fiberglass Starcraft boat. I would like to do some maintenance on the underside of the boat, do you guys think it would be ok to get a few people and flip the boat over in the grass to work on the underside? This is my first boat and don't want to destroy it the first time I try to work on it. I have attached a pic.

Thanks,

Luke

post-29664-0-36391400-1308587586_thumb.j

I don't think it would be a big deal, just make sure you take everything out. Empty fuel, take off motor. I would probably put it on wood blocks.

I have flipped 20 foot bass boats over so I could blue print the hulls, that one should be a piece of cake.

I always flip on the transome by raising the bow of the boat. That small of a boat, two or three people shoud be able to do the job. A tall pine tree, with a rope and pully will do it you don't have help. If you flip to the side, the sides may not be fully support and can crack the fiber glass, if it's glass,

One word of caution, if it's fiber glass, DON'T leave it flipped over very long and try not having it in the sun. If you do, it won't be long before you have a concaved bottom and it probably won't flatten back out. The boat trailer not only hauls the boat, it also provides support for the hull. When off the trailer and flipped over, there is not support, and sun will heat the H*** out of the fiber glass, letting it soften and sag rather quickly. If you cover it, do it with something that light colored and has air space the cover and the hull, or you will just be putting it in an oven.

I have flipped 20 foot bass boats over so I could blue print the hulls, that one should be a piece of cake.

I always flip on the transome by raising the bow of the boat. That small of a boat, two or three people shoud be able to do the job. A tall pine tree, with a rope and pully will do it you don't have help. If you flip to the side, the sides may not be fully support and can crack the fiber glass, if it's glass,

One word of caution, if it's fiber glass, DON'T leave it flipped over very long and try not having it in the sun. If you do, it won't be long before you have a concaved bottom and it probably won't flatten back out. The boat trailer not only hauls the boat, it also provides support for the hull. When off the trailer and flipped over, there is not support, and sun will heat the H*** out of the fiber glass, letting it soften and sag rather quickly. If you cover it, do it with something that light colored and has air space the cover and the hull, or you will just be putting it in an oven.

You got me interested now..need to find a cheapo fiberglass boat and leave it out in the sun lol. Maybe ill ask my buddy if i can borrow his for a minute. ^_^<_<

You got me interested now..need to find a cheapo fiberglass boat and leave it out in the sun lol. Maybe ill ask my buddy if i can borrow his for a minute. ^_^<_<

Let me just say, I learned it the hard way. Left a 14' Fishmaster upside down in VA for about three months during the summer. When I put it back on the trailer, I noticed the center roller was a few inches from the hull and was wondering how it got moved. Then I eyeballed straight down the center of the hull, it wasn't the roller that moved. 15 years later, when I gave it to my son, it still had that deep concave in the bottom. Good thing it was only a 25 mph boat to start with.