SoFlaBassAddict

Fishing The Pit Tomorrow

So I finally have a day off that I can actually go fishing. The weather looks decent tomorrow, so I'm going to hit one of the strip pits that are in my area. Just curious what all you guys think the fish should be doing. The barometer has been fairly stable for the past week and the water levels are still low. I'm really wondering if the afternoon rains that we've been having will effect the fishing much. Got deep water, for the most part with sheer rocky drops. There are a handful of flats on the lake, and one section that has a bridge with chunk rock lining it. Where all would you guys start looking? Or just say screw it and cover the entire water column and hope for the best...

I fished a pit about 10 days ago. Got em on 7.5" Culprits (black & Purple). But the best and 8.8# came on Pumpkin flukes with 1/4oz. bullet weight. I also noticed that the small fish were shallow and the large fish were as deep as possible.

i would try a drop shot rig. also a c-rig and definitely a BIG worm. good luck and we expect pics.

The canals in my area are dreadfully low, a month ago I couldn't catch jack sheet. My ponds get reclaimed water pumped in so they are not low like most I see, but the humidity is terrible and the gnats can drive you crazy this year.

Snook & tarpon are getting hot, going after bass is not even an option I'm considering now.

The offshore bite has slowed a bit but the big bonita are turning on, 20+ pounders are the norm, I catch 2 or 3 on spinning gear is enough of a workout for me, the other day I caught 6.

Caught a ton of fish today. Nothing big though. I'll post up a couple of pics later if I actually get the urge. I'm absolutely drained right now. It's freakin hot. Like Africa hot outside right now. I would have loved to have a little rain while I was out today. No wind at all where I was.

Almost everything came on a DD22 or other deep diver. Fish were mostly holding deep in 20 to 30 FOW on structure. Once the crank bite died, I was able to pick a few more off of each spot with a jig, worm, and a drop shot. Probably caught 40 to 50 fish in five hours or so. d**n shame that there weren't any really big fish. I flipped a couple of mats as I was getting ready to head in and lost an absolute horse. Probably should have had my flippin stick with me. I knew I was running the risk of losing a fish using the stuff I was. Never know until you try though.