Sign in to follow this  
Johnathan Lopez

Hook Mounting?

Hey guys! im new here.. i used to dabble around in making balsa lures but never fished with any of them. What method is preferred to mount the hooks to the plug? internal wire? or just screwed in eyelet?

Thanks a bunch!!

Johnathan

internal wire is the best. Balsa comes in a wide range of densities. The heavier balsas are capable of holding a screw, but why risk it.

Dave

internal wire is the best. Balsa comes in a wide range of densities. The heavier balsas are capable of holding a screw, but why risk it.

Dave

I've never done this but Dave is right. A through wire harness is the best for balsa type baits.

I've never done this but Dave is right. A through wire harness is the best for balsa type baits.

thru wire. screw ons will not hold in balsa. itryed glue and screw still no good

The method I tried a few times and with great results was to form a loop on the wire and made a hole big enough to accept the formed loop. Drilled a hole on the side of the bait so

I can insert a portion of a 4d nail so it catches the inside if the looped wire and epoxy it all in. It gave more flexibiltiy to position the ballast. It's been working great.

On the rare occasions that I do a through wire, this is the method that I use:

Dave