Sign in to follow this  
BassCats

Thinking Of Buying A Bicycle

I am thinking of buying a bicycle. I have not ridden one in 15 years and am wondering what I should get. I don't plan on going offroad with it, but not sure I like the idea of bending forward to ride a bike. Any suggestions on forums to look into or places to check out online. I will be going to the three bike shops in town this week to talk to them as well. I don't want to spend a ton of money on this either.

I don't know what you mean when you say you don't want to spend a ton of money. You may want a hybrid type of bike, one that has straight handlebars like a mountain bike, but narrower tires more suitable for pavement.

You may want to check sites of various manufacturers to see what's available. I have a Trek 7100, vintage 2004. You can check their site, plus Giant, Specialized, Cannondale and other manufacturers.

Back in the days when men were men and sheep were nervous, I rode a Schwinn.

I don't know what you mean when you say you don't want to spend a ton of money. You may want a hybrid type of bike, one that has straight handlebars like a mountain bike, but narrower tires more suitable for pavement.

You may want to check sites of various manufacturers to see what's available. I have a Trek 7100, vintage 2004. You can check their site, plus Giant, Specialized, Cannondale and other manufacturers.

I have a Specialized Crosstrail. It's a hybrid bike, or "29er." Basically it has a mountain bike frame with larger (700c) wheels. Some people hate them, but I love it for commuting around my university. The base model is about $500 new. I've seen used bikes go for around $350.

http://www.specialized.com/us/en/bc/SBCBkModel.jsp?spid=38464&menuItemId=0