Sign in to follow this  
Long Mike

For My Cajun Friends

Back in the sixties and seventies, when I lived in the heart of Cajun country, many store owners had the sign "Ici en parle francais" in their windows. Based on the observations made during my last few trips back to Cajun country, no one has that sign in their store any longer and it seems that no one is speaking French any more. When I watch the series Swamp People, I see a people that are as Cajun as can be, but no one has uttered a word in French. Has the French language completely died out in only two generations?

Mike I wouldn’t say it’s completely died out but it’s severely hurt, some schools are what are called “French Emersion” & are trying to bring back the language.

LSU has a course in Cajun French.

My Cajun buddies speak French with their family members but English to the rest of the world.

Life is easier like that.

Younger generations are going for English. :)

I had a hellish time working down there at first. Now though, I've picked up enough French and Patois that I can hack it. A lot of the old timers speak it, and a lot of the business in the woods takes place in French Creole Patois. It's a really cool language, which I'm glad to have learned a bit of. More and more, though, it IS coming back. In schools, in homes, in business. It's neat to see.