Sign in to follow this  
Hyrule Bass

New Pb Saturday Night At Sml

So, I went to Smith Mountain Lake this Thursday afternoon through Sunday. Mostly planned to night fish off the dock with night crawlers and chicken livers for catfish and whatever else bit, and to troll for stripers. no luck with the stripers really, my uncle hooked up with two, one got off right away the other right at the boat. Ended up catching some bluegill, white perch, and caught the first yellow perch i ever caught. Got a few nice 2-3lb channel cats and bullheads as well, which i personally find a blast to catch though im still waiting for that monster cat like i lost at SML maybe 6 years ago when it snapped my line while rolling on top the water. other than tossing a zoom super fluke around for about 20 minutes one day i never really fished for bass with artificial baits all weekend, despite seeing bass jumping on the other side of the cove all day for two straight days. hell, thursday night was horrible, only caught one 5 inch catfish in 4-5 hours of sitting on the dock with 3 rods out lol. friday night i got into the catfish good. and saturday night i had 4 rods out. one with a fat crayfish that found its way into the minnow trap and got no bites sitting out all night. one with chicken liver that caught a couple nice catfish when they could find it in all the grass that went crazy on the bottom of the lake. and two with nightcrawlers on a drop shot to keep them up out of the grass. well, i have mentioned my lucky blue shakespeare tiger spincaster combo before, had one of the drop shots on it with a 3/4oz bass casting sinker and a 2/0 owner baitholder hook baited with a night crawler. its was about 8:30-9 and my rod, which was propped on a bench i use for a rod holder, got a real small bump and thats it, just a small slight tap. then it happened again a minute or so later, im thinking meeeehhhh just a small white perch messing with it, then it happened a third time. im like ok, the white perch/bluegill/yellow perch/baby catfish just yank a few times then let go, but these were just very subtle small taps where the rod bent very little and didnt bounce like it was being yanked by a smaller fish. so i said if i see it one more time im snatching the rod and setting the hook real quick probably into nothing. so i sit there about 2-3 minutes with nothing before that 4th subtle bump. i grabbed the rod and swung hard, the rod loads up and then loads up some more and i start thinking, dang i got a nice fish on here. it was in about 3-4 feet of water where i hooked her and she jumped several times on the way in. i was on a dock and the boat slip was next to me with boat up on the lift. she gets up there and goes for the boat slip and jumps, my line ends up over one of the prop blades of the boat engine and theres a bass hanging there with just her head out of the water, i extend my rod out from the dock over the water and the line falls right off the prop and i cranked her on in and netted her. sorry if this is long winded but im almost done. well, my camera batteries were dead so i called my aunt up in the house and had her rush down and take some pics. maybe it was the initial adrenaline, but at first i was thinking 'this fish might go 6, i think i cracked 5 for sure'. well it was neither of those but it was definitely the biggest largemouth bass i ever caught. dropshotting a nightcrawler and i caught my PB 4 1/2 pound(on a scale) 20 inch bass...

302424_286227158070252_100000489107906_1223320_1282089933_n.jpg

311944_286227438070224_100000489107906_1223326_1699120750_n.jpg

WTG and Congratulations on your new PB!

Big O

www.ragetail.com

Congrats on the PB.

great pb. a big congrats to ya.