Sign in to follow this  
Big Cat

Fun With The Horny Toad

Tried a new rig with my Horny Toad, 2/0 Straight Shank Eagle Claw, pinched the frog and ran the hook thru the legs so its parallel with its back. I have a better hook up ratio with this method, swims better. I have used 3/0, 4/0 and the Zoom 5/0 cork EWG.

My equiptment is:

St Croix Avid 7' MH

Quantum PT Burner

Yo Zuri Hybrid 12' (I hate braid, never use it anymore)

post-34159-0-54239900-1317062475_thumb.j

To understand correctly the hook goes through the frog out the back? Is the hook left exposed? Might have to gives this a shot especially fishing in the grass. Nice bass BTW. Did you land anymore that day?

To understand correctly the hook goes through the frog out the back? Is the hook left exposed? Might have to gives this a shot especially fishing in the grass. Nice bass BTW. Did you land anymore that day?

I caught a 1.5 lber and several 10"-14" on various other techniques (Senko, white spinner).

I can post a photo, but basically the hook thru the nose, then about 1/4" and out thru the bottom of the neck. I then pinch the frog (because a 2/0 hook is small) and bring the hook up between the legs so the hook is completely exposed and running parallel with the frogs back. Probably not the best style as far as weedless is concerned but with the hook parallet with the back of the lure I havent had issues.

I caught a 1.5 lber and several 10"-14" on various other techniques (Senko, white spinner).

I can post a photo, but basically the hook thru the nose, then about 1/4" and out thru the bottom of the neck. I then pinch the frog (because a 2/0 hook is small) and bring the hook up between the legs so the hook is completely exposed and running parallel with the frogs back. Probably not the best style as far as weedless is concerned but with the hook parallet with the back of the lure I havent had issues.

If could post a pic would be nice, Thanks.. Yea I figure wouldn't be good far as weedless but I would think be ok with grass. At least I would think. Sound like you had a good fishing trip with the other bass as well.

These pictures may not be great but you can see the hook placement

post-34159-0-19427600-1317067673_thumb.j

post-34159-0-45938700-1317067682_thumb.j

That's a really clever rig. I'll have to give that one a try with some 3/0 straight hooks I've got. Thanks for posting the rigging. Oh, and nice fish too!

Nice one!

Big O

www.ragetail.com