Sign in to follow this  
NCLifetimer

Fixin Up A "bass Boat".... Don't Laugh At Me....

....alright, i guess you guys can laugh a little. New guy here, finally decided to put other interests aside(and money) in order to get more serious about bass fishing. Been fishing forever, but being out on a few of my buddies boats finally gave me the "itch" as they say.

At the moment, I have a 12" john boat and a 61' 6hp merc that I was miraculously able to get started the other day, cranked right up after sitting for at least 20 years. Think all it needs is an impeller and im good to go(motor wise). Still need to get a trailer.

So for my question, i guess I'm just looking for some advice on how to fix a john boat up into a "poor college boys" bass fishing boat?

I have a 35 lb trust trolling motor and battery. Its a flat bottomed john boat(old probably 70's, rivited). Plan on giving the paint job a lift. I was thinking about cutting out the tops of the built in aluminum "seats" and rigging a new top out of plywood and carpet so I can store stuff(food, drinks, battery, life jacket, etc). This would allow me to install a swivel seat too. I'll have all the necessary lights and such, so I guess a switch board would be ideal? I know circuity well, so the actual wiring shouldn't be a problem.

I guess im just kinda thinking out loud here. Im pretty handy working with wood, metal, fixing stuff, etc, so I think i can make it into something until I can save up and spend a couple of grand on a boat(hopefully within the next year). Any advice or tips are appreciated. Im sure there are some guys out their that were on a "college" budget at some time or another and came up with a solution to fish cheap.

I might even get a fish finder, who knows :D

thanks for reading and any advice,

Chris

P.S.- Forgot a few things. I have a boaters license and will definitely get all the necessary safety equipment(lights, etc). I also plan on fishing some of the larger lakes in the state(just a little slower then everyone else :D) like Falls, Jordan, Gaston, etc

Check out tinboats.net. Anything and everything you could imagine about transforming tin boats.

X100.... I am also a member there and am currently fishing out of my second build. Don't worry, it IS very expensive/addicting and this one wont be your last! Good Luck!

Jeff

save your money use a plastic box for misc. use clamp-on swivels and a clamp on depth finder, a 12' boat will get you wet if you put too much stuff on/in it... spend more time fishin and less fooling around till you can afford at least a 15' 16' boat (been there done it) I know this sounds harsh but unless your 12' is extra extra deep and extra extra wide, the aveage man a small motor ,a battery, a trolling motor you are already way over the safe weight limit

• Like 1

Thanks for the cite link, didn't even think about that. Alot of information their. I'll be sure to check the specs for weight limits, and if it is indeed over for what I want to do then ill hold out for something more reasonable. Thanks guys.

I'm a college student also. I fish out of a simple 14ft aluminum deep-v that got handed down to me a couple years ago. All i've done is put a trolling motor up front, and built a small deck in the nose of the boat. Simple. Even my boat is affected by the small piece of 1" plywood up front, and it has a 40hp on the back. Not so much with one person in the boat, but it's noticeable with another.

I've gotten about 60 days per year on the water with it over the past 3 years and i'm content without all the extras.

I know exactly what you're trying to accomplish, if you're going this route, spent the least amount of money doing it.. add a floor with a couple of 2x4's and call it a day.

I just finished doing my v hull boat up,carpet trap doors, it really looks great and works great. Which gave me a even bigger itch! I bought a bass boat 2 months later...

Lesson learned if you want a bass boat save up and get one, otherwise you will always have the itch..

Thanks guys. I'm saving up for a bass boat next fall(should have about 6-8k and that will get me something). I know im going to want to be on the water this summer so i think I'm going to fix it up, but conservatively as suggested. Probably just a new paint job with a floor. Tinboats.net has a lot of good ideas for cheap.

Any advice on where to get a trailer for cheap? What should i expect to pay for a trailer? I'm not having any luck with craigslist or ebay.

Any advice on where to get a trailer for cheap? What should i expect to pay for a trailer? I'm not having any luck with craigslist or ebay.

Yeah, craigslist led me to junk that was overpriced. Keep an eye out, and if you see something that looks promising ask about it, even if it doesn't have "for sale" sign. I found mine that way. It was sitting in someone's driveway outside of town and I stopped to ask about it. The guy hadn't planned on selling it, but since I wanted it he did. It needed some modifications to fit my boat, new lights, a paint job, and a few other minor things. It also had a brand new spare. I paid $125. Considering how much a new trailer would be, I consider that a steal.