Sign in to follow this  
iceintheveins

Best Turnover Baits?

The weeds are dying and my small lakes are turning over. Caught one decent one yesterday on a spinnerbait and had a couple other hits in a couple hours of fishing, which in the same time normally I average 5 - 7 bass.

What are your favorite baits to use during turnover and after turnover? Water temps should stay well above 50 for about another month. Should I fish shallow or deep during turnover?

Lipless crank does well snapped out of the weeds, also a chatterbait.

Lipless crank does well snapped out of the weeds, also a chatterbait.

Even in or around dead and dying weeds?

Yeah, it's like in the early spring before the weeds have fully grown, ripping the lipless and the chatter just off the top of the weeds can be deadly.

My largest bass this year went 23 1/4" length x 21" girth in shallow, whatever weeds were left from last year, 1 1/2 weeks after ice out this past spring on a spinnerbait. dhami013 is on point. As the water cools, the weeds will hold warmer water the longest. JMHO

Yeah, it's like in the early spring before the weeds have fully grown, ripping the lipless and the chatter just off the top of the weeds can be deadly.

I stumbled on that method early this year fishing for bass in 45 degree water on my float tube. I was thinking of resorting to that technique when all else fails.