Sign in to follow this  
rboat

Crankbait Lip Replacement?

I have a couple older wood crankbaits that lost the clear plastic lips. Where can you get some to glue in, or what material can I make some new ones out of?

Thanks for the help.

You can get pre-fabricated bills from jann's netcraft, but there is a limited variety of sizes and shapes available.

Most guys that make there own bills use lexan or garolite sheet. You start with a template of the bill, trace the pattern on the bill material, rough-cut the bill using tin snips, and then file or sand to final shape (I like to use a dremel tool for this).

I get my lexan from US Plastics. A 12" x 12" sheet will make a bunch of bills, so you probably won't need anything bigger than that. You might be able to find lexan sheet at Menards or Lowe's, but I've found it cheaper to get it from US Plastics, even with shipping.

Most older wood cranks used plastic bills with a 1/8 inch thick base. You will want to measure that lip slot before trying to find a replacement bill. It's a tricky repair to fit a 1/16 inch lip into that 1/8 inch slot and keep the correct angle.

I bought a piece of lexan from home depot and it was the perfect thickness. I cut and sanded and tried to remember what the original was like. I glued it back in place and it looks really good. I will give it the true test next trip. Thanks for the help.

When mounting a lip in a slot that's too large, epoxy putty can be your best friend. Cut off a little of the putty log, mix it, fill the slot with the putty, push in the lip so you get the correct lip angle, and smooth off the putty that squeezed out of the slot. No worry about voids, no worry about liquid epoxy dripping out of the slot, no worry about the lip moving while the epoxy hardens. You're ready to roll in 30 minutes.

Well that's a neat trick Bob.

Can you buy pre-fabbed bills with the line tie molded in?

I have a bunch of old Poe's Crankbaits, but everyone of them have a broken line tie on the bill.

Can you buy pre-fabbed bills with the line tie molded in?

I have a bunch of old Poe's Crankbaits, but everyone of them have a broken line tie on the bill.

Yes, Janns carries them, not sure of the sizes.