(='_'=)

Tied On Trailer Hook (And My Pb)

hey. i had been feeling a lot of short strikes while fishing spinnerbaits... i tried slowing down, but i still had short strikes... so i began looking for a solution and found out about the trailer hook and how to rig one.... however, i dont have hooks with an eye big enough to fit over the spinnerbait, and i havent seen any to buy... so i decided to tie one on... im a climber, so i trust my knots... this is what i came up with... its just a temporary solution until i find the proper hooks... anyways, yesterday i went fishing for the first time with my trailer hooks, and caught this, my PB, a little over 5 pounts, and almost 20" long... it has hooked in the trailer hook, which held just fine....

here are the pics....

post-32403-0-80646800-1321894205_thumb.j

thanx!! but i dont live in the US, and wallmart here has a really small fishing section.. i will check, but i doubt ill find more than sinkers and line...

I use 4/0 trailer ( mustad) hooks to make up my king rigs, they come with an open eye, just squeeze them shut with a pliers. I use the same ones as trailers for my bass spinnerbaits. If you want some extra movement with that tubing try a limerick hook ( also has an open eye ), we use them for stripers and cuda but I have made mini ones I use for bass and they work.

Nice fish! Looks like a sweet place to fish.

thanx SirSnook, ill see what i can find next time im at academy, or next time i place an online purchase....

and Packard, it is a nice place... its a dam they made in a small canyon, so you can always see both shores, the widest part must be about 150 yards, the narrowest, maybe 40 yards, and about 4 miles long.... so, not really big, but its nice to fish there, and its 1 1/2 hours from home...

thanx SirSnook, ill see what i can find next time im at academy, or next time i place an online purchase....

and Packard, it is a nice place... its a dam they made in a small canyon, so you can always see both shores, the widest part must be about 150 yards, the narrowest, maybe 40 yards, and about 4 miles long.... so, not really big, but its nice to fish there, and its 1 1/2 hours from home...

Congrats on your new PB. By the way where's home ? :)

Congratulations on your big lady. It is great to catch those lunkers.

There is a theory that I heard when using trailer hooks. It is to use a trailer hook one size smaller than the bait's hook.

I have done this and have also used the same size trailer hooks and I don't see any difference in the bait's action.

let us hear from you again after you recieve your trailer hooks and let us know if it improves your hook-up ratio. :)

thanx!!

well, i dont know about sizes, i just used what i could find... its a bit smaller than the main hook, but i dont know if its one size or more... also, what size is the spinnerbait hook?? or what size trailer hook should i look for??

Dude, that's a good one for sure!

i know, thanx!!

i had never caught a fish over 2 pounds.... and generally they fight and jump... this one was over 5 pounds, and it felt really heavy, but didnt fight much.... is that normal?? at first i knew i had a fish, but after a while, it just felt like when i snagged a shirt.... a heavy, motionless load...

Dude, you're in Mexico. I have a feeling you're going to catch a DD pretty soon.

I hate spinnerbaits, but I learnt a lot from this video:

KVD also talks about trailer hooks IIRC.

i had never caught a fish over 2 pounds.... and generally they fight and jump... this one was over 5 pounds, and it felt really heavy,

I know that feeling.. I was used to catching 1 and 2 pounders until one fine day I stuck a 6 lb-er. She definitely wasn't a dead weight though.

thanx for the video!!

and hopefully i get to catch a DD one day... not where i live though, we have a huge depredation problem, people here dont care for C&R, so they dont let the fish grow old... but i will definitely keep trying!!

Excellent... WTG!

Big O

www.ragetail.com