Sign in to follow this  
bwell

Transducer Question

Would I get interference if I put my transducer on my trolling motor or would it be better to keep it at the back of the boat? I already have a mount at the back of the boat, but if I can save myself some time and room from running the wires to the back that would be ideal.

Oh this is on a 14 ft jon boat btw.

Would I get interference if I put my transducer on my trolling motor or would it be better to keep it at the back of the boat? I already have a mount at the back of the boat, but if I can save myself some time and room from running the wires to the back that would be ideal.

Oh this is on a 14 ft jon boat btw.

Trolling motor RF interference is entirely random in, frequency, occurrence and intensity with any brand and model of trolling motor. Some don't get it, some get it and nullify it, and some get it and never get rid of it.

Motors that have a variable speed control are the most likely to produce the RF that is received by a sonar unit.

Basically you won't know until you do the install.

Well I might do a little research on my trolling motor MinKota edge, and see if people have been getting interference. Thanks for your help!

I get it sometimes. I traced it back to low speeds on my TM. It's really minimal, so never really bothered me.

You can help to minimize interference by coiling the excess wire between the 'ducer and the head unit into a figure 8 and then folding the two loops together.

I have a 40 lb MinKota with the transducer mounted right on the motor pod. MinKota sells a bracket that fits the curvature of the motor pod and attaches with a hose clamp. Transducer sits right behind the skeg. Never had a problem with any interference.