SirSnookalot

Getting Larger In My Pond

Went out for a quick 20 minutes of bass fishing in home pond, cutting to the chase measured the length with my rod mark, 23". Using a light action rod and a blaze minnow. Have caught quite a few 2-4# recently, hope there's another nice one in there. I did hook and lost a real nice one a few weeks ago in the same area, I think it could be the same fish.

Congrats! How long have you had it stocked/maintained it?

Jeff

We have 6 community ponds ( canal just off property too) they have never been stocked. One of the residents 25 years ago caught some bass elsewhere and put them into one of the ponds, ponds are connected so there was some migration. Almost as soon as there is storm debris the HOA cleans it out, so there is a lack of real cover. This one I'm sorry I didn't have my cam/phone with me.

Can't catch a canal bass to save my life, but catching these guys in the late pm almost daily now. Pond action on light tackle, open water, This I like. had my phone with me.........about 20".

post-18019-0-71894100-1323765045_thumb.j

post-18019-0-98528900-1323765052_thumb.j

Good deal - I'd love to be able to catch fish that size in my lakes!

Up here, a 23 incher would be in the 6lb class, perhaps 7lb if it was a fat one - sounds like you had a very nice fish!!

I don't know what it weighed, I was using 6'6 6/12 spinning rod and couldn't pick it up from the pond, so it wasn't light.

I went out to my pond yesterday both at about 11, then about 4, the fish are on and not much is hitting under 3#, I had a few more about 20". What makes me wonder is when the bigger fish are hitting, the smalls are not around and when the little 6-8" bass are hitting, the larger ones are in hiding. Feast or famine. I still can't get one in a canal, spent another 90 minutes at daybreak, for one little strike, but when I catch them they can run pretty beefy.

Wind has been brutal, not spending too much time in the salt. :cry4:

Nothing like having a honey hole right in your backyard! You know you can release a snook or two in there and they will live :wink2:

Never really thought about that, I know they do freshwater, but won't reproduce. All the same I'll take a pass, not worth the risk.