Sign in to follow this  
Hooligan

Quality Assist Hook

Looking for rigged assist in single hook. I can't get the one I used to like anymore, and I really don't like dealing with tying my own. Anyone else using them on spoons?

No idea. I tried some Owners on a jigging spoon once. The line seemed too long. Nothing really too compelling to switch from my double split ring - trailer hook arrangement.

? Are you talking like a stinger?

Yeah, a single, though.

No idea. I tried some Owners on a jigging spoon once. The line seemed too long. Nothing really too compelling to switch from my double split ring - trailer hook arrangement.

I have had so many fish this year that haven't gotten a treble in their face it's kinda nuts. I had a spot hold a flutter spoon so long that I actually landed him without a hook in his face, just wouldn't let go of the spoon. I've tried the "let them hit it to kill it, then hit it to eat it" method and I still lose fish because they just don't get hooks on the set. I've tried waiting on the set... I'm looking mostly for flutter spoon use versus Shorties.

Almost all my issues with any spoon has been resolved by ditching the treble altogether. I generally pick I single trailer hook that matches the spoon size, and use an over size split ring.

Yeah, I've gone that route on a lot of mine. Shorties, Cleo's, and the like all have a single Siwash with either a double ring or, like you, an oversize. On my 1/2oz for instance, I use a #5 ring with a #2 Siwash, and they work really well. I've had really good luck with the Butterfly or Freestyle type of jig/assist hook in saltwater, figured it might work as well for a large flutter spoon.