Sign in to follow this  
Bill Porter

Bass Spawn Time

I know it's mid January and in my part of the world (West Virginia) it's about 20 degrees and snowing today. I like most of you can't wait to get some warm temps to hit the lake! I was just wondering when the spawn usually begins and the best times to get back on the water? What is ideal spawn water temps and conditions. Hopefully I can get on the water sooner than later and get me fish on!

Mid 50's to early 60's.

Many fisherman on this site have their own response and experience. My advice to you would be to do some research when spring roles around. The slightest weather changes can and will effect the spawn.

Like NC said, watch the water temps. If you want to get some earlier fishing in hit the parts of the lake that heat up fast. Fish will spawn at different times in different parts of the lake.

The best for early spawns in your area can be small ponds that warm up more quickly than main lakes.

Personally out here it's May-June for the spawn time.

There was an excellent discussion on here some time last year about this if you can search and find it, it will answer all of your questions. I have seen bass on the beds in early April in some small ponds in WV.

There was an excellent discussion on here some time last year about this if you can search and find it, it will answer all of your questions. I have seen bass on the beds in early April in some small ponds in WV.

here are a couple threads from last year started by Catt with some good info and theories in them...