Sign in to follow this  
Frogman

Boat Carpet Question

The carpet in my boat is getting to the point where it needs to be replaced. I have a 17" stratos. I was wondering what would be a reasonable price is for having someone do it? Also is this something I could tackle myself with limited knowledge of installing carpet? It has one rod locker, two livewells, and two storage compartments. It doesn't look like it would be a hard job, I just don't want it to look like crap. How hard is it to get the carpet cut correctly along the sides? The first quote I had was 1500.00. I will not pay that!

Do it yourself ;)

yep with quality carpet and materials you could have it done for < 350.

Just started tackling it myself. Just get the right tools for the job and take your time. Don't expect or try to complete it in one day.

I don't think there's any way you are going to find someone to do it for $350. Several years ago the average price was $500 for 20 oz carpet. I would think you could find someone that would do it for $750 but that's not a dealer. Most dealers labor rates are around $100 per hour and it takes several hours to replace the carpet.

Here's a link to a boat carpet dealer to give you an idea of what the carpet will cost. http://www.boatcarpe...ductselect.aspx Not saying this is the best price there is, just an idea.

Depending on the age, yours probably has 16 or 20 oz in it. I think it was in the 2000's when they went with 20 oz. If you go with a heavier carpet than what's in it, the lids stick and you have to shave the edges to get the to open without major difficulty. Do not even consider the newer 22 - 28 oz, you will most likely run into all kinds of problems with getting the lids opened and closed.

You will probably need the 6' wide and 25' - 30' long and at least two gallons of glue, maybe even three, depending on what kind and how heavy you lay it. I don't use carpet glue, contact cement works better and a whole lot easier to work with.

If you are somewhat the mechanical type, it's not a job you couldn't do yourself but it is a lot of work for someone that does not have the experience and tools. Just make sure you get on here and ask questions or you will probably screw it up. One thing people don't think about is all the pieces have to be kept in the same orientation. If you put a piece on a lid that's you changed the bias on, it will look a different color.

If you do it yourself, lacquer thinner is the best thing I have found for getting the old off. Do it outside.

I don't think there's any way you are going to find someone to do it for $350. .

no i'm talking about yourself. I just purchased 8' x 25' of 20oz for 265. Basic materials Glue, remover, pins for lids, tape, razors etc around 100.