Sign in to follow this  
Ku Xiong

Wilson Lake Kansas

Hi, I am new to the forum, and love every bit this site has to offer. A couple of friends and I were thinking about heading out to Wilson Lake near Russell, KS for a few days to do some fishing, a little bit of everything: mainly going to be Bass and Stripers. We plan on camping out if the weather permits. I have never been to the lake, only drove passed it in our endless search for pheasant. Anywhere particular that would we should start out at? For bass? For Stripers? A good campsite next to the water? Strategies and tactics for both species? I would like to know what to bring in tackle, so im not bringing my entire arsenal. Besides Bass and Stripers, what other species are pretty good out there?

Thanks in advance.

I had the opportunity to fish Wilson lake about this time last year. In my opinion it is one of the most beautiful lakes in KS. It is very clear water, and is about 70-80 ft deep near the dam. During our trip we caught LM, SM, Walleye, and Crappie. Some of the things that worked for us was Wiggle Warts on the face of the dam, deep cranks, spinnerbaits and swimjigs.

Sorry I can't be more help than that, but if you have the opportunity to fish Wilson I say go for it, very beautiful lake.

aavery2, thanks for the reply. We were originally supposed to go to Okeechobee, but monetary issues got involved. Ive heard quite good things about Wilson Lake, so we are planning on going at the end of April. Im getting quite anxious about going now. EXCITED!!