donovanl12

What Line Should I Use On Shimano Sahara 2500?

What do you recommend for the type of line to put on a Shimano Sahara 2500 spinning reel? (something that Bass Pro sells) Braided/mono, brand, lb test? Thanks!

You wil get a lot of different answers to this question. If you can tell everyone what type of fishing you plan to do with this setup, ie: baits, cover, presentation, it will help with suggestions.

Yeah I guess that would help haha. I'll be fishing for largemouth bass in everglades, lakes, canals. I'll be using anywhere from crankbait and topwater lures, and also some 10 inch worms. The reel is on a 6 foot 6 in. medium action rod.

If you fish in the kind of slop I do when I visit Floida, then my suggestion is for 30 lb. braid. My main reel that gets used for just about anything and everything down there is an STX baitcasting reel with 40 lb. Sufix Performance.

I have a Cabela's about a 45 minute drive away. No idea where the closest Bass Pro is. Did a search. The answer for Sufix is 'no'. Of what they offer, I would select PowerPro. I have 30 lb. Fireline on one of my spinning outfits. Holding the line between my fingers to maintain tension turned my fingers green in short order. My Sufix lost color with use, but didn't flake off while spooling. I've used Spiderwire fluorocarbon, but not their braid yet. I am satisfied so far with the fluoro.

For a 2500 sized spinning reel I would not exceed 8# mono or copoly. For my bass fishing in Florida on that sized reel I'm strictly a braid man, my choice is 15#, 20# is ok too, I never saw the need to use a heavier braid.

I see you are in Boynton, I'm in Delray, I get much of my stuff at Dicks on Congress & Old Boynton. The Dicks on Southern Blvd in W. Palm is a bigger store with more selection.

20lb Tufline or Power Pro. I have both on my Sahara and got the lines at BPS.

I agree with sirsnookalots answer, 15 lbs test braid I use on 2500 size Shimanos, 10 lbs. test braid on 1000 size and 20 lbs. test on 4000 size reels, max drags on my Stradic and Sustains are 1000/7 lbs, 2500/15 lbs, and 4000/18 lbs. I use 30 lbs on my 4000 once in a while for Pike and Muskie in Heavy salad, the lakes I fish for them and where I fish for them are very weedy, but 42 lbs Muskie to 50+ lbs. in heavy vegetation is a huge difference from bass and snakeheads in the same or less slop.

I would imagine if you are using a Medium weight rod, it is tated for 12 lbs. line or lighter. If you use heavier than the rated line be careful not to over load the rod, it was designed to handle lines with the lbs test it is rated for, I never found a chart that said this but I also match my reels size to my rod weight. 1000's on ultra light to med. 2500's on light, to medium, and 4000's on medium heavy to extra heavy. Then change weight leders for the rod or application. it has worked for me using Synthetic lines every since they came out!!

As for Dicks, well everyone I've been in I have found there employees know less about sporting goods than my grand kids, who are mostly preteen, and will give you advice like they been there done that!! They couldn't even tell you how to get there!!! Sorry but I don't shop at Dick's, find a Bass Pro or Cabelas and support the ones that are trained and have experience in the area's they work in, most can give good advice. It is there specialty! If you shop at Dick's I would know what I want before I go in.