Sign in to follow this  
Jim McC

Rigging A Kayak, Using Screws

I have a sit on top kayak, with no access on back side to use bolts and nuts. I want to add a couple deck loops(pad eyes) and mount a cleat, to tie off my anchor line when I use my anchor trolley. Will screws be OK? If so, should I add anything to the screw threads when I mount the cleat? A local kayak shop told me that screws won't hold well enough for the anchor line cleat because the kayak's plastic material is too thin. They said I need to use well nuts. What do you guys think? Thanks.

If it were me, I'd use rivets. Find a local kayak store and see if they carry pop rivets, the kind that splice into a flower (crude explanation) when you set them.

I've used screws in my yaks, but the rivets are so much easier and they do hold very well, even for anchoring situations.

But yeah, the well nuts are the way to go if you're worried about hold. If the plastic is thin, try the well nut - or rivet.

My .02.

Thanks guys. So generally, do rivets hold better than well nuts? I know nothing about rivets or rivet guns. I've never even used one.

A steel exploding rivet will hold better, but consider it perminant. If you have to drill it out, and the rivet spins. You will never get it out and it will probably do damage to the yak.

I've used toggle bolts seeled with 3m 5200 in a similar situation.I swapped out the screw for a stainless one,and used the 5200 to bed the cleat in so it won't leak