GoTakeANap

Wooden Or Hard Plastic?

What type of crankbait do you prefer? Wooden or Hard Plastic type crank baits? I have always loved the wooden crankbaits. Just want to see what everyone else thinks.

I think I've caught more fish on wooden cranks, and I know I've caught bigger on them, but I like them both

Hard plastic, I fish too many rocks and wooden baits just don't seem to hold up.

I build wood baits and like them for shallow and medium depth fishing. Deeper than 12 ft, I'll use either wood or plastic. It's hard to find GOOD deep running wood baits in the 15-25 ft range. Harder to build them too!

Hard plastic, I fish too many rocks and wooden baits just don't seem to hold up.

X2^ The lake that I fish the most is an abandoned sand pit that has been shored up with rip-rap to prevent bank erosion. It makes great structure but it's tough on lures. Even some plastic cranks don't have a very good survival rate.

Tom

I use both. Although I prefer wooden cranks in shallow areas where snags are prevalent. They seem to rise quicker and get me out of trouble faster.

Hey BobP, not meaning to turn the topic, but I've been tinkering with some homemade cranks for a while now and can't quite get the action right. Do you weight yours or just go with solid wood?

I have to vote on plastic, I've had some good catches with wood, but mostly my top-water not the cranks.

i LIKE THE WOODEN CRANKS AS THEY SEEM TO CATCH THE BETTER FISH THAN PLASTIC. i USE THE pOES AND MY FATHER-IN-LAW MAKE WOODEN CRANKS WHICH WORK VERY WELL.

Sorry, did not mean to type in all caps.