Sign in to follow this  
ghost

Are There Baitcast Rods With Low Reel Seats?

Are there baitcast rods with low reel seats? I have a Shimano Calcutta 101TE and it sits a tad high compared to a low profile reel, I knew this before buying the reel, it's that the 101TE is a work of functional art.

I know the Daiwa S rod and Light and Tough have low reel seats, I'm looking for other options.

Pretty much most if not all rods are designed with the reel seat right on the blank. Having a round style reel is just the norm for it being tall.

While there are subtle differences between reel seats, LMG is correct in that the hight of the reel is due to the reel profile and there's no way around it that makes sense. The TE is a great reel. I'm sure you'll adjust and like it.

Perhaps the OP is inquiring as to whether there is a modern iteration of the reel seat common 'back when'...

gallery_25379_89_263831.jpg

Goose52, I seem to collect rods in the last couple of years. I have several of that type in my collection. I usually find them at yard or estate sales and consignment shops. Earlier this year I found a pistol grip Bowning Sila-Flex that needed the skip and screw for $4.50. The skip and screw cost me about $3.00 total (I ordered several to keep the shipping in line). So for less than $10.00 I have a top notch rod. I tried it against my Shakespear Ugly Stick and the Browning out performed the Shakespear handily. You don't necessarily need the most expensive rod or reel to have a good productive time.

In most modern rods blank thru handle construction is the norm so it´s going to be quite difficult for you to find a rod that´s not blank thru handle, to get a lower reel seat ( like the ones shown by Goose´s illustration ) you´ll probably need to go custom and forget about the blank thru handle, it´s going to cost you a lot in the sensitivity department.