gall

Fast Or Extra Fast Action? Need Advice

im planning on buying a new spinning rod to chase smallmouth in the crik and river i came across the fenwick elite tech sm rod and have not seen one negative review but heres my dilemma i dont know if i should go with fast or extra fast tip i will be almost always be fishing jigs and craws with the occasional small crank bait or spinner bait i have a fast action tip rod now and really like its mix between backbone and flex i heard there are some negatives to extra fast which one do you think i should go with a fast or extra fast? all the advice would be great im really having a tough time and if anyone knows more insist on the difference between extra fast and fast please let me know i know the basics like upper part good for single hook but i also heard you have to keep a steady amount of pressure please let me know

single hook ----> extra fast/fast

treble hook ----> moderate fast/fast

So if you are willing to skip the "ocassional crank" then extra fast is your ticket, if you are not willing to skip the ocassional crankbait then fast is your ticket.

I personally feel if your using braid a medium power rod with a moderate, moderate fast or fast is plenty. I fish 2 moderate action rods, one 6'6" and the other 7'... I fish lipless cranks, 3/8 oz spinner baits along with light jigs, and weightless worms. I have zero problems driving the hook home when using any of these baits. If I use mono which I hardly ever do, it's not as easy to plant the hook when fishing weightless worms. I do use a mono leader with my braid on all techniques.

I really like how a moderate action handles when fighting a fish. Go have a look at the Falcon Bucoo Micro in either 6'6" or 7' M I think it will be the perfect rod for your needs.

I agree with Raul's advice.

I fish almost exclusively for River SM. I use an SC Avid in ML Fast for Cranks and Topwater and a couple of SC Avids in M and ML for Senkos, Craws and all other Plastics.

The ML Fast works much better for the Trebles but I love the X fast action for Plastics.

BTW, That Fenwick SM Rod is nice. I don't own one but I have handled them and they are a nice Rod.

Raul is on the money.

Don't know about the spinning rods, but I have 6'10" Medium Fast and 6'9" Medium Extra Fast baitcasting rods. The Fast handles weights from 1/8-5/8 oz. while the Extra Fast is listed for 3/8-5/8 oz. I've used the Fast model each time I went out this year (after getting it)..for both single and treble hook lures. The Extra Fast is still in the plastic as I felt the Fast would be a more versatile rod, and didn't want to be limited to 3/8 and 1/2 oz lures.

I would love to offer advice, but your lack of capitalization and punctuation left me too confused to respond.

For me it's all about the fish and water conditions, not single or treble hooks. In open water situations fishing for a smaller species it's a med 6/12 spinning rod fast tip. No longer in Michigan but have caught countless S/M when I lived there, the closest thing down here to compare is a peacock.

thanks for the advice and i mainly use smaller size weights mostly 1/8 and 3/16 oz since im fishing a mainly shallow crik with deepest points 8ft deep i liked the fast action so far but wasnt so sure but thanks for the advice everyone

I would love to offer advice, but your lack of capitalization and punctuation left me too confused to respond.

Hi Mike. OP is probably using a smart phone to post. Be grateful he didn't write any sentences using just the first letter of each word! :eyebrows:

Sometimes I have to respond to my daughter asking WTH did she mean. :dazed-7:

sorry just dont think about using punctuation for this, but i was asking about the difference between fast and extra fast rod tips, and which one should i use with jigs and soft plastics. also on top of that what are the pros and cons of extra fast