MarkH024

Horizontal Rod Storage-How Long?

My rod storage space is pretty tight at home, I have next to none when it comes to storage space. Currently have my best rods/reels on a horizontal wall rack. I have read that they will develop a natural bend in the rod over time if stored horizontally. Like any of you, I do not want that. Until I figure out a better solution, is there a proven time frame on how long it will take before any change actually occurs in the rods? If it's years......I won't sweat it too much. If it's a season length then I'm starting a project this weekend. lol.

Hoping you rod building guru's have a good answer for me. I used to store my rods vertically in my spare room before it turned into my twins room this year. If I had only one baby, they'd still be in there. :eyebrows:

I'm pretty sure the bend only occurs in glass rods, and not graphite.

Well if that's the case, then that is great news. Thanks. Interested to hear more from the others.

Right now I have all my rods hanging horizontally like you. One point of contact is at the reel seat, and the other just below the fist guide so there isn't hardly any pressure to cause a bend. I think if one point of contact was on the handle and the other near the tip, that could be an issue.

The older glass blanks were more apt to take a set and even then it would take some time. In a temperature controlled enevironment you have even less to worry about. If they are properly supported as suggested above you have nothing at all to worry about. There is another thread abaout DIY rod racks. Some of them are clever and might be worth checking out just to maximize space if nothing else.

Right now I have all my rods hanging horizontally like you. One point of contact is at the reel seat, and the other just below the fist guide so there isn't hardly any pressure to cause a bend. I think if one point of contact was on the handle and the other near the tip, that could be an issue.

Mine are relatively the same, except most of my rods are just past the first guide but that is just a couple inches. I guess I won't stress it that much then.

As I said in the other thread, these rods have spent many years on a horizontal rack with no discernable issues. If you look close, they are Sage, Orvis, Loomis GLX, etc. they are not rods I don't care for.

02070003.jpg

Ronnie