Sign in to follow this  
Jedwards36

Creek Bass Issue

I fish a creek, mostly for cats and sunfish. But i have caught 2 yearling Largies. Shouldn't there be more largemouth? It's not near the main river, and the main river is all smallmouth. It baffled me, and I wanna see bigger ones.

It doesnt take much to fish a creek out. Unmolested bass are easy to catch. is it possible someone else has been catching the bass there?

We are the only ones that venture out in the creek. But I caught them in a popular hole. It gets 5.5' deep. I've spent days in that creek trying to caching another one. I will try during spring.

I have good luck with size #1 Mepps, while wading through creeks. Caught spots and largies.

It is common that a creek would have low numbers of bass. Also that the bass would run small mainly because of food source and the amount of water they live in. Usually creeks are easy to fish and bass are in classic ambush areas. I have fished one creek that had tons of shad and bass and others that you had to hunt to find a bass so each creek is different.

It is common that a creek would have low numbers of bass. Also that the bass would run small mainly because of food source and the amount of water they live in. Usually creeks are easy to fish and bass are in classic ambush areas. I have fished one creek that had tons of shad and bass and others that you had to hunt to find a bass so each creek is different.

pretty much nailed it here. i have a local creek that is full of smallmouth and are super easy to catch but they are small. biggest i have ever caught from there is bout 2lbs. com