Sign in to follow this  
JoeV102278

Kentucky Lake

Hello, diverse angler here from PA who specializes in river smallmouth bass who is trying to do something nice for his wife. My wife is originally from St Louis and used to vacation at Kentucky Lake and I am trying to get a rental for a week and not turn this into a fishing trip, that said I still need to fish! I was hoping someone could give me a good time of year which is a nice balance between good fishing and nice weather after June. Also some info on where to stay along with a few guides (I won't have my boat) that specialize in that area. Cost is not an issue for the rental, just nothing crazy. Any help would be greatly appreciated, I just need to keep telling myself, THIS ISN’T A FISHING TRIP, THIS ISN’T A FISHING TRIP !

JV

Google: KY. Lake lodging and KY. Lake guides. I've fished there the last couple of years.Many great places to stay and more guides than places to stay. Advice, book early, by the end of Jan. there all bookes up Good luck .

Paris Landing State Park in TN, Kenlake State Park, KY Dam Village, or Lake Barkley State Resort Park in KY. If you stay in KY Andy Allen is your guide (closest to Kenlake or Barkley). A friend of mine who I've fished with many times with excellent results. PM me for number if interested. Steve McAdams is the biggest name guide in TN although I've never fished with him. Early June is an excellent post spawn fishing time and nice weather. After that fishing slows a bit and it starts getting pretty hot, especially for PA folks :grin:

Thanks! Also, I fish FL in Aug every year so heat shouldn't kill me but you are right I am not a huge fan of it!

For your help here is some pics of fish landed this weekend, the first is a toad, it only went 18" and for a river fish that is a hvy fish! The second is a steelhead caught after a long road trip to the Salmon River the same weekend.

JV

Smallie.jpg

PA261552.jpg

Moved this to the Southeast forum. Hopefully some more locals will see it.

If you're needing nice weather here Mid to late Sept would be the best bet. June-August can be and is miserable here most years. Fishing is hard to beat in the early fall on the Tn river. I fished yesterday and wore them out. 82 degrees in the first week of Nov.