Sign in to follow this  
ipeeinmywetsuit

Rod And Reel Combo For Punching And Swimbaits

I have had plenty of time to think about what rod and reel would be best for this type of versatility. I have pretty much decided on a dobyns 766 micro guided rod and a shimano chronarch with a 7.0:1 gear ratio. I feel this combo with some heavy braid and a leader line would be ideal for flipping and punching heavy matts and throwing smaller swimbaits in the 1/2-2oz range.

I was hoping some of you dobyns and shimano users would have some thoughts on this setup? Even if you don't use these brands I want to know what you think of my decision. I feel its the best possible setup for the money and offers the versatility I am looking for to throw on a punching/flipping bait or a swimbait. I plan on waiting until black friday to buy this so I have a little more time to think about it and consider other options.

i'd use a reel with a more drag for punchin, like a revo stx @ 20#'s of drag vs 11 on the chronarch...i should add that this recommendation is coming from a shimano guy...

Some compromise will be necessary to cover those two applications with the same setup. If you lean more toward the punching I think you're on the right track. A 1/2 oz bait might not cast real well but the heavier ones should be ok. I don't think 11# of drag is a handicap at all but Revos do test out higher. If you like the Chronarch invest $8 in a Carbontex drag upgrade and run them dry.

I use a Curado E for jigs/punching. Never had a problem pulling fish out of slop. The Shimano drag is underrated.

If you like the Chronarch invest $8 in a Carbontex drag upgrade and run them dry.

That's exactly the set up I use. I have three of them, and they're fine with 40-65# drag. Want to make it even more powerful, add a Hawgtech handle.

32371_432342550134986_1376556917_n.jpg

i don't have experience with the carbontex yet, been meaning to upgrade with them for years but haven't. i have no doubts they would very well make the difference and 8 bucks would be money wisely spent...

the e7/chronarch with stock drag has worked 99% of the time just fine but after having it slip on more than one occasion punchin, its a warning worth heeding. i also guarantee you i'm not the only one either that its happened to. hopefully it doesn't happen when you need it most if you decide to leave it with stock drag washers...

revo's are known work horses, that part can't be denied and i also don't have tunnel vision and realize, just like rods there are better tools in the shed for certain jobs...and imho the revo's are better suited for heavy duty punchin applications...

The most drag power I've ever been able to get is out of a Zillion with a dry Carbontex upgrade. That said, I've never really needed more than the usual 8-10 lbs. most stock reels are capable of. I generally prefer smoothness and consistency, though punching milfoil and coontail on a short leash is one where I'll almost lock it down.

in all honesty J, if i hadn't procrastinated this long to get the carbontex, i may not have written what i wrote...i've had the e7's for years & they have served me well with no complaints. i've never had an issue in any respect with them what so ever either until i started punchin and have had that happen...

One of the main reasons I want to use a chronarch over an abu garcia right now is to try a reel I don't have already. I currently use an abu garcia premier 2nd gen and a lews tournament pro. I figured its time to try a shimano brand reel considering how closely similar my other two reels are. If I were to buy the carbontex drag washers to upgrade my shimano do any of you have a reliable website for that?

One of the main reasons I want to use a chronarch over an abu garcia right now is to try a reel I don't have already. I currently use an abu garcia premier 2nd gen and a lews tournament pro. I figured its time to try a shimano brand reel considering how closely similar my other two reels are. If I were to buy the carbontex drag washers to upgrade my shimano do any of you have a reliable website for that?

Smooth Drags: http://www.smoothdrag.com/

Delaware Valley Tackle: http://www.delawarevalleytackle.com/