Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
usaustrian

Rod To Match Quantum Energy Pt Reel

Recommended Posts

I am fairly new to baitcast fishing, especially when fishing for smaller species like bass - I've really only fished bigger baitcast reels on the ocean. Now I got a Quantum Energy PT reel for Christmas, and am looking for a rod to match it as the only baitcast rod I have is too big for the reel. I saw an abu garcia vendetta rod in a store the other day and weight/proportion wise that looked a lot more appropriate. I'm on a limited budget so the max I'd want to spend on a rod is $100, but preferably below that. Of course the matching Quantum rod would be an option, but I've heard mixed things about it - may however not matter for someone not (yet) fishing baitcast setups too much. I am just looking for a decent, reasonably priced rod that would work with the reel and is fairly versatile (don't have the money currently to get a whole set of baitcast rods to match all applications). Thanks in advance for the advice.

 


Florian

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd look for a rod around the 100 dollar mark. The Abu Garcia Veritas, Shimano Compre, BPS Carbonlite and *** *** would all be worth a look. Going under the 100 dollar mark, I'd suggest looking at the Powell Diesel. I have higher end Powell rods and I like them a lot and I have heard nothing but good things about the Diesel for the price point. Also keep your eyes on the flea market. You can find some smokin deals in there. I have some Vertias' I'm selling for 70 bucks and about to put up a St. Croix Mojo Bass for 70 bucks. PM me if you're interested. As far as the specifications of a rod, I'd look for a MH/F rod around 7'. This will allow you to cover just about every application well, aside from crankbait lures.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just picked up an Abu Garcia Villain 7'1 MH at sportsmans warehouse for $120, I know its a little high but for that rod its a great price!! The Mojo rods are good, as well as the Veritas from Abu for that price...and I agree with keeper, something around 6'6 or 7' MH will be a good start for multiple techniques!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Daiwa ballistic can also be an option. They have an array of actions and are decent rods. If you dont mind having a rod that is half red. 100bucks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A 7' MH/F would be a good general purpose rod to get started with.  80% of most bass fishing can be done with this rod, and it's serviceable for the other 20%.  Once you learn new techniques, you'll discover what you want for the more specialized techniques/baits.  There are a lot of good options at the $100 price point out there right now. Bring your reel to a store, and mount it to several rods and see what feels good.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • fishing

    fishing forum

    fishing rods

    fishing reels

    fishing

    bass fish

    fish for bass
    fish

×