Sign in to follow this  
flyfisher

Craig Biggio A Hof'er?

Saw an article on ESPN where Biggio was complaining about how he should be in the hall of fame and not lumped together with the roid heads of his era.

One thing is even being on the ballot is an honor so he should quit whining. Two he was a slightly above average player who was known more for wearing a huge elbow pad and leaning over the plate so he could get hit. He did play hard but I am not even convinced he should be in the hall and he probably got more votes because of the class he was in not the other way around.

no, the bwaa needs to stop letting marginal players in.

• Like 3

Well I'd say he was better than "slightly above average", he did get more than 3,000 hits, which is a mark that will usually get a player into the HOF, he won 4 Gold Gloves, led the league in scoring twice, and won multiple Silver Slugger awards.  I did a little research to compare his stats to another HOF 2nd baseman, looked at Joe Morgan's stats, Biggio has more hits, scored more runs, hit more home runs, had a higher career BA.   Now Biggio did play other positions than 2B, but I'd argue that enhances his value even further when compared to Morgan. 

• Like 2

Biggio shouldn't even be on the ballot.

• Like 4

Biggio was a classic compiler.  He played at a decent level for a long time.  .281 batting average, didn't really hit for power with 291 homers and 1100 RBI's.  I also don't hold gold gloves as any value really since they are a popularity contest much like the all star game where a representative has to be sent from every team.

I just never remember thinking to myself wow Biggio is awesome and the best 2nd baseman of his era. I also find it hard to say anyone who did not win at least one MVP to be inducted into the hall.  Yeah i know the argument will be well the roid guys were winning them instead but that is not always the case.  Sandberg also won an MVP and i would bet if you asked 100 people who would they rather have as their 2nd baseman biggio or sandberg the overwhelming response would be sandberg.

Not trying to rip the guy to much but he is not HOF worthy in my opinion, let alone a first ballot guy.

• Like 2

I have always been a huge Biggio fan, but I just don't see him in the hall. Had he not played for 700 years the numbers wouldn't have been there. Also, if the juicers #'s were legit they'd be in no doubt and Biggio would be so far down the ballot list he'd be an afterthought.

• Like 1

He actually reminds me alot of Utley.  Plays the game hard and for the entire career is pretty much an above average player but not HOF worthy.

Although Utley has a better power surge than biggio....

It would be kinda like electing Dwight Evans in. I mean seriously, they were OK but not anything special  :eyebrows:

It would be kinda like electing Dwight Evans in. I mean seriously, they were OK but not anything special  :eyebrows:

Or Jamie Moyer

• Like 1