Sign in to follow this  
papajoe222

Finding A Rod Blank's Spine?

Okay rod builders, I have a question. I've done a few rod builds and know how to find the spine and where to place the guides in relation to it, but I'll be attempting a build on a two piece blank and was wondering how to find it?  Do you check each section individually, mark and match the pieces at the ferrel? Is it only necessary to find the spine on the tip section?  Thanks

You spine each section individually. It may be difficult to find the spine on the butt section since it will be stiff. So the tip section will be more critical than the butt.

• Like 1

There have been many debates on here about building to the spine or to the staightest axis. I build to the spine. On 2 piece rods I make sure the upper section is spined and try and get the lower section as best as possible. If your bass rod is a fast or extra fast action rod, then the butt section probably won't torque on you, or at least you won't notice it as much as the upper section. On slower action rods, I make a concerted effort to get the lower section spined and aligned...MHO anyway.

Yes

check each section individually, mark for alignment of the pieces at the ferrel.

Like stated if the upper section is of a med/light action it will be harder to find but do try to get them as close as possible..

Tight Wraps!   :Victory:

Thanks guys. I was thinking along the same lines, but wanted confirmation as this is not only my first two piece rod attempt, it's also the most expensive blank I've purchased to date. I'd hate to end up with a rod I'd be unable to use let alone give as a gift which is my intention with this one.

Thanks guys. I was thinking along the same lines, but wanted confirmation as this is not only my first two piece rod attempt, it's also the most expensive blank I've purchased to date. I'd hate to end up with a rod I'd be unable to use let alone give as a gift which is my intention with this one.

That's funny, I just finished installing guides, tip-top and hook keeper on a 2pc rod I'm rebuilding and refinishing. The reel seat was in great shape so I left it...Huh, what are the odds!

Goof luck papajoe222!