Sign in to follow this  
Lunker7

Can Rods Warp?

Hello everyone, just wanted to ask a question. When not in use, my rods stand tight in a corner of my room. They are standing upright, not leaning that much. The other day, I looked down the blank of the rod, and noticed that the rod tip bends a bit to the right. Any thoughts?

Almost every blank has a slight bend in it somewhere. Rods can take a set if stored with a bend and exposed to heat but I think it's more common in older or glass rods. Leaning in a corner is not ideal, a rod rack or wall hooks that support the rod by it's butt and midsection are best.

Almost every blank has a slight bend in it somewhere. Rods can take a set if stored with a bend and exposed to heat but I think it's more common in older or glass rods. Leaning in a corner is not ideal, a rod rack or wall hooks that support the rod by it's butt and midsection are best.

Ok thanks.

You're telling me that if the tip of my rod bends a few 1/8s of and inch to the right, that's nothing to worry about? Also, I did the same thing, and stored my rods leaning on the waal a bit. ( Only for 3 days, though.)

All rods have atleast a very slight bend.  Ask any rod builder and they will verify that.  Its not quite as noticable on mid to high end rods.

All rods have atleast a very slight bend.  Ask any rod builder and they will verify that.  Its not quite as noticable on mid to high end rods.

Well the rod I'm talking about did only cost $55...

I keep all my rods standing in the corner during the winter and I haven't had a problem yet. I try to keep them as straight as possible, with the lighter power and faster action rods nearly upright. I agree rod racks are definitely the best. I've been trying to build one, which is why they are stored in a corner at the moment.

Also, I highly doubt 3 days would be long enough to damage a rod leaning against the corner of a wall.

I have an old Diawa rod that is warped a little. Doesn't seem to hurt the action, and it is still my best action rod.

Sorry, meant to say heavy action rod.