Sign in to follow this  
BassinB

Lead Core Line?

I lose a dozen or so jigs a year to pike and other toothy critters in the lakes up here in wisconsin. I've tried everything from short steel leaders to heavy flouro leaders to different line types and i still end up ~40$ in the red at the end of the season. Not a huge deal but i had an idea.... I am wondering if i tied a short 6-8" lead core line leader to my jig and then to my main line, would i decrease my bite offs without wrecking the action or strength of my technique?. Now, i have no experience using lead core so i have no idea if its possible or if its "bite proof" but i just thought of this. Any ideas?

in my experience lead core is rather weak and easy to cut,not really what your looking for.  Perhaps your steel leaders were a little TOO short, you would need 5 or 6 inches I would guess. Also check wire for pike rigs , should solve your problems. good luck

Forget the lead core idea. Lead core is for trolling. Much to bulky for a leader. Either go with heavier floro for a leader like 60-80lb test or get some very light titanium leaders or flexible seven strand leader material which you can tie knots.

Try the new leaders like the "knotsokinky" leader. I don't know what it is made of exactly but its bite-proof and so flexible you can tie knots with it.

I know your pain living in your neighboring state.  To me $40 at the end of the year is worth the cost of getting better performance out of my baits and increase number of bites by just tying my line direct to the bait.  Just retie often.  I've caught plenty of pike up to 20lbs on crankbaits with 10lb fluorocarbon.  I've seen a huge reduction in the number of bites I get with steel leaders and similar products and I believe it is because it effects lure action and perfomance.