Sign in to follow this  
bassman31783

Finished A Bench Today

Got some tools for Christmas and have started to put them to work.  Built a bench for our entry way.  Simple bench

to make.  Not good enough to make anything elaborate but I'm sure having fun learning as I go along.  Here are a 

few before and after pics.

Before applying linseed oil

NewBenchBefore1_zps44151a7c.jpg

NewBenchBefore2_zps641fcc6b.jpg

NewBenchBefore3_zps9744cf8d.jpg

After applying linseed oil.  The wood was still soaking up the oil.

NewBenchAfter1_zps0cbbc32d.jpg

NewBenchAfter2_zps52528be5.jpg

NewBenchAfter3_zps61d1340a.jpg

• Like 1

NIce.

I'll make a suggestion.  Try tung oil, or Minwax Antique Oil Finish.  I think you'll like it better than linseed oil.

Lemon oil is handy to have around.  I don't recommend using it to provide a finish, but wipe down your furniture, stairs, cabinets, etc., once or twice a year.  It cleans and "feeds" the wood, even if it has a polyurethane, laquer, enamel or any other finish.

These pine cabinets are 32 years old, with a Minwax Antique Finishing Oil finish, and treated once a year with lemon oil, or another coat of the antique finishing oil.  The beauty of an oil finish, including linseed oil is that it requires no sanding or preparation to apply another coat.

You'll never have to worry about the finish chipping or peeling.  If the wood does get damaged or dug up, just smooth it out a bit, and finish the damaged area the same way you originally finished it.  If you stained the wood, apply the same stain to the repair area before applying oil.

Picture075.jpg

• Like 1

NIce.

I'll make a suggestion.  Try tung oil, or Minwax Antique Oil Finish.  I think you'll like it better than linseed oil.

Lemon oil is handy to have around.  I don't recommend using it to provide a finish, but wipe down your furniture, stairs, cabinets, etc., once or twice a year.  It cleans and "feeds" the wood, even if it has a polyurethane, laquer, enamel or any other finish.

These pine cabinets are 32 years old, with a Minwax Antique Finishing Oil finish, and treated once a year with lemon oil, or another coat of the antique finishing oil.  The beauty of an oil finish, including linseed oil is that it requires no sanding or preparation to apply another coat.

You'll never have to worry about the finish chipping or peeling.  If the wood does get damaged or dug up, just smooth it out a bit, and finish the damaged area the same way you originally finished it.  If you stained the wood, apply the same stain to the repair area before applying oil.

Picture075.jpg

Will do.  Thanks for the suggestion.  

That's real nice. You should be proud to know you built and own it!

Beautiful work.

Have you thought of getting a pecan tree or other hard wood cut into a five foot section and then halved so you can add legs for a bench?

My father-in-law made one for me many years ago and it is beautiful.

You will have to find a saanother sitell and have them cut the tree for you.

You will have to find a saw mill and have them cut the tree for you.

(I have no idea how I messed up the post above.)

I guess because it is 4:13 in the morning.