Sign in to follow this  
zachb34

Watertender Deck

I just got a watertender for free and wanted to put a deck in it for a grade in wood shop can anyone walk me through the process what do I need for the support to hold the deck up and what I use to make the actual deck thanks in advance

Not sure what a watertender is. I'm assuming its a smaller boat since u got it free. Is use 3/4 inch plywood and 2x4s for the deck. Follow with some carpet. Fairly easy to do. Supports along the outside of the deck and 2x4s running across to hold the middle.

Spend a little more and go with aluminum. Tinboats.net is a good place to look for info on decking a small boat.

This is what they look like

post-31503-0-25170800-1367424971_thumb.j

Oh, a little molded boat. I would just sit tight with what you have.

I'm just doing it for fun I get the wood and stuff cheap through the school just thought it would be fun and it's something I would use

I'm just not sure how safe it would be to try and add plywood decks with framing. It might make that boat very unstable. What does your teacher think??

He said to go for it the boat does have a 48" floor and I won't be raising the decks more than two inches above the bench seat

I am afraid it will be to top heavy. I wouldn't want to stand on it .

Maybe run a test. Figure out approx. how much you deck is going to weigh and put that much weight on top of the bench and then take the boat out and see how it effects the balance of the boat. I dont think it will cause much of an issue especially because you look like you are fairly light and probably have good balance.

I weigh 160 and have good balance I'm a hockey player lol ill load the front of the boat with me and a few batteries today and see how it feels

That little boat only weighs 114 lbs. if you start putting too much weight above the water line, it might be a little dangerous. Just be careful!

Decided I won't build decks but I will paint and cut it to make storage