Sign in to follow this  
CPBassFishing

Missed The Spawn?!

Hey everyone, I saw a male circling near shore yesterday, and I assumed that it was one of the first to make a bed. For the past few weeks, I have been catching fish about 20 feet from the bank. The full moon was on Monday.

People are telling me the fish in VA have been on beds for 3 weeks, and there are bedding fish in NJ! What am I missing? Did I miss the spawn or is my pond way late?

There was a cold front on Sunday and Monday. Thanks in advance for any responses.

I actually saw fish guarding fry here in NOVA! I don't think you missed it CP, the spawn happens in waves and at different times on different parts of the body of water.

Spawn will continue thru June at least in VA, not sure if NoVA will end sooner than down here, if it does, it will be a matter of days, I'd think. Beds may be empty here and there, then filled up with a new set of bass. At least in my experience.

There are more females out in the depths waiting their turn.

Ponds will go sooner. Lakes later. It's the temperature differential between water body sizes (volume) mostly. Maybe your fish are spawning deeper? Have you observed spawning there in previous years? Check the same locations. Often it's a good idea to walk the pond and observe before you fish. It's easy to miss things you aren't looking for. Just some thoughts.