toddwchandler

What Do I Need To Do Different?

Just to give you all some background, I live in the suburbs of Atlanta and I am fortunate enough to have a 50 acre lake/pond that is situated between three subdivisions right behind my house.  This allows me to walk down there pretty much any time I want and get some fishing in.

As recently as 4-6 weeks ago, I was catching some really nice bass out of there.  I was having success with plastic grubs Texas rigged, buzz bait, pretty much anything would catch a fish.  Now all of the sudden, the big fish seem to be gone or not biting.  I am catching some little ones here and there (mostly on a Beatle Spin) but haven't landed a decent one in a while.  I can't figure out what has changed.

Temps have for the most part been in the 60s and 70s.  Water has been mostly clear, getting a little cloudy with some recent rain.

I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong now.  Things that worked a few weeks ago are getting no attention.  I can sometimes see the fish following my lure, but they won't bite.  What gives?

TC

I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong now.  

TC

Could be nothing you're doing. Sometimes they don't want to eat.  Also, if your consistently throwing the same thing at them, change it up. Expand your lure selection. Fish in a small pond or lake will become conditioned much more quickly than in a bigger body of water. 

It could have been just a simple cold front that knocked it dead for a few days.  Fishing is a puzzle. It's up to you to put the pieces together.

I would start by throwing something different than what you have in the past 4-6 weeks. See what happens from there.

Could be nothing you're doing. Sometimes they don't want to eat.  Also, if your consistently throwing the same thing at them, change it up. Expand your lure selection. Fish in a small pond or lake will become conditioned much more quickly than in a bigger body of water. 

It could have been just a simple cold front that knocked it dead for a few days.  Fishing is a puzzle. It's up to you to put the pieces together.

I would start by throwing something different than what you have in the past 4-6 weeks. See what happens from there.

Agree with Mark...

They can turn on again as quick as they turned off....

Change baits, retrieve, color, cadense, time of day, go deeper, go shallower, drag, swim etc

They're still there, just keep at it.

Mike

• Like 1

they could be on the beds, it will be tougher to get them to bite.

also fish that follow but dont take, sometimes a simple color change will get them to commit to your bait. or perhaps a variance in your technique like a pause in your retrieve...

• Like 1

What is the water temperature?

Could they be on their beds?

What do know about bass seasonal periods?

Have the bass spawned yet?

Tom

Well, I honestly do not know the water temperature. I would need to get a thermometer to take a reading.

As far as knowing the spawning cycles, I really don't know anything. I understand there are per-spawn, spawn, and post-spawn periods but I don't know how to which of these periods the bass are in.

Go down there with a pair of polarized sunglasses when its sunny out. Just walk around the edges. Look for the beds which will generally be next to some sort of cover, and round in shape. If you see bass swimming around they are spawning. Thats exactly what they are doing here now and they are a pain to catch