Sign in to follow this  
cajunpapi

Fishing White Perch Brush Piles

I was wondering how many bass fisherman fish these brush piles and how do you do it?

I was wondering how many bass fisherman fish these brush piles and how do you do it?

White perch? Do you mean white crappie?

Tom

WRB , yes white crappie , here in south Louisiana we call crappie, white perch, sac-a lait ,speckled perch and spec's. When we put brushpiles out for crappie we call it brush piles for white perch (crappie). Also what I meant was how bass fisherman fish this area for bass.

Consider the brush piles as isolated cover that may attract bass if there is baitfish or crawdads using the brush to live in. The reason the crappie are attracted to the brush pile applies to the bass with the added smaller size 1/4 lber crappie being bait fish for the bass.

The key to finding good isolated cover is where it's located. Most of this type of cover being added by dock owners to catch crappie at night will have a flood light that indicates the brush pile is more than likely productive and worth fishing. If the brush pile is located out of the way in unproductive flat shallow area, it may be worth fishing during the spawn. If the brush pile has deeper water access, then I would consider that a good location.

You can fish isolated brush with several lures and presentations, from crankbaits to jigs or any bottom bumping lures that works through the cover without snagging.

Matt lures crappie swimbait could be very good during summer with young of the year crappie being targeted by bass for example.

Tom

PS; a simple rubber band weed guard works good for Matt lures swimmers. Use a small denture rubber band, run the line through the band, tie on the swimmer, put one of the band below the hook eye and stretch it and place the other end under the hook barb. Another option is a hitchhiker spring with a 2" piece of finesse worm to cover the hook point and clip on the hook eye.