Sign in to follow this  
Phoenix Guy

Night Time Crankin"

I fish several night tournaments throughout the year, and fish the normal jig, worm and topwater pattern. I have heard people say to not give up on the crankbait after the sun goes down. My questions are, 1. do you use crankbaits at night? 2. do you use dark colors like with other night lures??   Thanks in advance!!  NP

Crankbaits are very effective from 2 hours before sunset and until about 1 hour of darkness. The crankbait bite tends to pick up again about 2 hours after total darkness.

Traditional thinking is use black or very dark colors like black/red combinations. But.....if the water has good depth of light during the daytime (6'+) then all colors can be effective including all white.

I learned this by putting my shad colored deep diving crank baits in the boat for a night tournament instead of the dark colors and managed to win this event with a 34 lb limit, all on wooden ghost/white Poe 300.

My favorite deep crankbaits at night are the Norman DD14 and DD22 in black/red craw.

Look for rocky areas with clay banks where crawdads tend to come out at night.

Good luck.

Tom

• Like 1

I think people put too much emphasis on changing their baits for night time fishing. If it worked during the day, it will work at night. The fish are feeding on the same bait they fed on during the day. The prey doesn't get darker, larger or noisier at night, your baits don't have to either.

• Like 2

Both responses above are spot on.  Most of my night fishing is done with either a frog or crankbait.  I've played with the whole dark/light color deal and honestly, I have never noticed a difference.  As Jrob78 said, the forage the bass are eating at night do not change color or size or action.  That being said, I throw red exclusively at night because that is something I have found confidence in.  I also throw red crankbaits just as much during the day.

The biggest thing I do when cranking at night is....

- Look for rock or clay banks or a mix of the two, just as WRB said

- Make sure your fishing a bait that is hitting bottom on a good portion of the retrieve.  If your fishing 6-8ft, throw a DT-10, if fishing 10-14ft, fish a DD-22.  You get the picture.

- Use a crankbait with a wider wobble.  This I believe is THE most important thing about night cranking.  I like something I can really feel and I do believe it helps the fish find it a bit easier.  

But yeah, don't get too worked up over changing tactics from daylight to dark fishing.  I fish mostly the same way as the daytime.  It's real easy to get overwhelmed but if you go out there and fish more at night, you'll become a whole lot more in tune with your baits and what there doing underwater.

Good luck!

Actually lakes with pelagic baitfish like shad are very different prey source for bass during the night as the shad hide deep in cover when it's dark. Night is a when crawdads and other nocturnal critters are out and about.

Tom

As WRB stated, the night bite will pick up after a couple of hours of total darkness. Around here that's normally around midnight. That's when I break out the deep cranks and football jigs and target the deeper haunts.  The fish may have stopped feeding, but will more readily attack a bait that wanders into their comfort zone at night.

I know the responses that you've gotten are sufficient but I just wanted to say, heck yeah man!! Do it.

I love night time crankbaiting. I've caught a lot of big fish this way. I prefer to fish a bit faster and cover as much water as possible and I think cranking is an excellent way to do this. I fish DD22's and Fat Free Shad baits mostly and I do will with dark and light colors. It's probably not terribly important which color as the other folks have said. I fish with red/black craw DD22 and a sexy shad colored Fat Free Shad and do great with both, just the ones I really like...I have caught a bunch on other colors too...Have a plug knocker handy...

Yes and yes.

I fish all-nighters on a fairly regular basis. 9 of the 10 largest bass I ever caught were all caught at night, and the majority of them on crankbaits and spinnerbaits.

Dark colors all the way.

My friend and I recently went night fishing and caught 43 largemouth (the best we've ever done). Caught 'em on the green pumpkin Chatterbait (with a white trailer... strange indeed).

I seen some fish with mepps inline spinners at around 10pm when we were leaving one night. As we left these two guys said your not waiting till they turn on?

Once the bugs stop biting I may try night fishing at 10pm. I've done the 3:30am till dawn thing. But never the whole night.